Innovative Marine Aquariums

Metal halide bulbs not lasting

DAP

I set up my 250watt fixture with PFO ballast over a year ago.

Here are the bulbs I went thru.

hamilton 10,000k - 3 months

xm 20,000k - 9 months

coralvue 20,000k (looks like 10,000k) - 5 weeks

It is a standard ballast, not hqi.

My photoperiod is only 11 hours.

What is going on ?

what size tank? With a MH I thought the photoperiod didn't need to be that long. That isn't gonna burn out a bulb in 5 weeks though. Sounds like you gotta bum ballast firing the bulbs bad.

Right on the money...what is the ballast? I run all icecap ballasts now...longer life, no color-shifting, less heat. No humm either. Tell me, does your ballast hum?

DAP, I have the same ballast as you and I am running a sunburst 12K for about 5-6 months so far. I think it is a faulty ballast.

Not sure where you bought it from, but it's worth trying to fight it out with them to get a replacement or at least a partial credit. If they want you to return it to them be checked out, I bet the shipping will cost you a 1/3 of what you paid for it already.

One last question, is there any chance you are using a bell pendant? The reason I mention this is that the bulbs you described need to be mounted horizantally not vertical. That was a little fact I never knew and was fortunate to find out before I used my bell pendant.

Good luck,

Guy

I have an aluminum hood with a 4" fan, so I don't think overheating.

I am running a PFO standard M58 ballast.

Ballast doesn't humm.

I borrowed a 6month old XM 10000k from a buddy and the light has been fine since I originally posted this.

At least Coralvue is sending me a new bulb.

I guess I will contact PFO. The place I bought it from had it drop shipped directly from PFO.

Archived