ReefCleaners.org

something to stir my sand....

The Unit

i am looking for something to stir my sand...other than snails and hermits...some kind of fish or what do u think of a tiger brittle star.....or a gobie maybee? or suggest somthing else....ty

maybee but i cant get them at my LFS and i dont like online stuff....i live 2 min from one and i prob keep the place in buisness:)

a goby!!!!!!

they do work that a 100 snails and hermits will...

get those ones that have a fat head and large mouth...they will work all day long...sorry..don't know te exact name for them..but i have seen them in action..they are darker grey brown color...or i guess you can get teh ones that are light color with color pots on them...

but i think those will stir up more sand then anything else...

or get a sand burring star fish..instead of bristtle star...the BS will hide on LR at times and not do their work...and the SB star will be in the sand all day and move it around...one down side to it is that you will never be able to see it as it will be int he sand...

If you're thinking of the white sand starfish, they're not appropriate unless you have a huge tank. They'll also eat all the life if you have live sand.

The mini brittle stars would work well if you can get ahold of them. I have sandbed clams in my tank, but how well they work I don't know, because I haven't seen them since I put them in the tank. Bristle worms are another option. Look for something that eats detritus, rather than the other life in the SB.

Lunchbucket

get a conch they rule!! either that or some nassarius snails.

i had slime on my sand...now w/ the conch i have nothing but clean sand

Lunchbucket

ty for the replies..i think i will try the gobi as i was think about another fish but didnt know they would work for me aswell....

Lunchbucket

i have a fighting conch. yes they do grow large but it will be a LONG time before he out grows my 10 and i will have a 20 or more by then.

i wouldn't do a gobi...they will throw sand EVERYWHERE. and eat good things in your sand....which aren't very populated in a nano.

i still say nassarius snails or a fighting conch.

Lunchbucket

hey luch what do fighting conch go for now adays?...and are they two kind like a quenn or something...what is the diff among the two???

Pseudo Gregoree

its possible....

but that question varies on how mature the tank is.... and how much stuff you have down there.... most of my copepod population resides in my refugium and only a few get pumped out into the main tank...

those usually do get eaten but they are def. not wiped out.

i would def. only recomend one of these for a tank with a OLD sandbed.

Lunchbucket

the queen and fighting are about the same from what i heard. just the queen grows faster i believe.

get a conch and be done w/ it ;)

Lunchbucket

I got a fighting conch with my build your own reef package from Etropicals today. Very cool animal. I sat and watched him mowing red slime on the sand for about ten minutes when I got home today...

I picked the fighting conch over the queen because on the Etropicals website, they say that the fighting conch eats junk out of the sand, while the queen will spend most of its time on the glass and rocks. I paid $6, but it would probably be more at an LFS.

Archived