ReefCleaners.org

Why is Caluerpa illegal in CA ?

Dave ESPI

<<<---------- I SAID NO CALUERPA !

Just curious.... Im familiar with a lot of import and ecport CITES laws, so WTF is with CA and caluerpa why cant U have it?

i think its cuz people thro theirs away if they cant have it in thier tank and since its suck a fast growing plant its illegal cuz if people dump some in the ocean in cali it can upset the "ballance" in ocean like when some one let some snakeheads loose in a pond in maryland so i think its just so they dont "overpopulate" the ocen there,Chris:)

Who would bother taking algae back to the ocean?

Go little CALUERPA! You're free! Swim away! Whee! No more glass prison for you, you poor little algae!

:P

NanoReefer53

When I went to San Diego, at the Birch aquarium they had many pictures on why they are so illegal. They just swallow anything else around. There was a before pictures of nice polyps and anemones but then the next picture showed just a maaassssivvve clump of calp. It's no funny matter. This calp. taxfolia (sp?) is taking over the natural inhabitants.

Its probably not a hobbyist, although it could be. Ships and stuff dumb their bilges when they get into port and some caulerpa can get transported this way. Kinda like with the zebra mussels. BTW, I have some caulerpa. Almost any reefer in Cali does. Illegal? Eh,whatever. Its not like they are going to go door to door and inspect.

i have also thought that some type of caulerpa was illegal in california, but unfortunately, based on my reaserch in articles, talking to my local fish and gaming commision, and wildlife research center, the bill to ban caulerpa never passed...

so i think its no longer illegal..but the people who I ask might not know what their talking about, so try asking around your area and let me know.

Hi. I think on RC there was a thread about this and somebody pulled up some Ca state regulations that banned all different types of caulerpa, and I noticed almost all the hobbyist types in there as well.

i dont know if caulerpa is illegal in california or not but i just bought some at a fish store in california. i went to a store that i have never been to because i didnt know it was there and they had feather and grape caulerpa. my normal lfs never has any though.

that is an intense article..wow..i guess we do learn new things everyday....

I like the looks of Caluerpa and love the way they will grow, but now i see the point why they ban it. It has grwon almost 2 inchs in my tank in a WEEK!

but i guess when you harvest your extra caluerpa, just leave it in the sun to dry out or just throw it in the trash bag instead of flushing them down the toilet. that should resolve some of the problems.. IMO, Caluerpas are expensive, $5-$10 for a batch? i bought 2 threads of bubble caluerpa, about a small ziplock bag full, for $8....

anyhow, that was a great article liz.

I did used to wonder why it you guys were always talking about calpera being illegal in cal.

Introduced species have a knack of being pests and overcompeting native species for resources etc and thus decimate the native species.

Originally posted by Stryf3

i have also thought that some type of caulerpa was illegal in california, but unfortunately, based on my reaserch in articles,  talking to my local fish and gaming commision, and wildlife research center, the bill to ban caulerpa never passed...

so i think its no longer illegal..but the people who I ask might not know what their talking about, so try asking around your area and let me know.

The bill passed here it is;

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_..._chaptered.html

Archived