Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

water problems

grinder143

I have a problem ,i put a small shrimp in to start the cycle a month ago. it was in a little over a week it started to smell so i took it out ammonia went up and went down nitrite never moved and to this date nitrate is at 0 according to api test. any ideas.I am thinking ofa 20% water change and putting a damsel in to see if that starts the cycle. it only has 30 -40lb of dry rock in it as of now. I would like to seed it with some live rock but did not want the hitch hikers that come also. any ideas on what has happened to the cycle.

dont turture the fish or shrimp with starting the cycle. Just get a small amount of dry rock that has been cleaned (that will get rid of most of the creatures). That should start the cycle for you with out killing your animals.

now i am confused. in the past many years ago i cycled using ammonium cloride for a week it cycled and did inital water change to lower nitrate. I also read on this fourm that you could used a small shrimp,leaving it in about a week. as far as seeding with live rock this time i did not put live rock in beacause what is available local is very brown. i have bought two other times and the advantage did not outway the disadvantage. On several threads i read the person said next time all dry rock.I felt like i get 50 or so lbs from reefcleaner. let the tank cycle and build a bacteria bed then when i found some quality rock seed it with a small amount.I guess i need to trave to new orleans to see if i can find a small amount as this is a 40 breeder and has 30-40 in it. i guess the more you think you know the less you really do.

dont turture the fish or shrimp with starting the cycle. Just get a small amount of dry rock that has been cleaned (that will get rid of most of the creatures). That should start the cycle for you with out killing your animals.

That is what i did in a since 30-40 lb of dry rock from reefcleaners kind of like what you would get from bulk reef supply or marco rocks

Archived