SaltCritters.com

15L, 15tall, or a 20L?

CanadianGuy

I'm wondering if one size would be better than another. I'm worried about the 15L and 20L being too shallow. How close to the surface can the LR be?

The long tanks offer more floorspace, but I kind of prefer the look of the 15T. If the 20L gives me many more options as to what animals I can keep and will be better for the reef all around then that's the way I'll go. I guess I'm just worried about the tanks being too shallow and looking funny!

What do you guys think?

BTW: I have 30lbs of LR and will be using a Prizm.

30 lbs = 20L :)

if you go with the tall you may be limiting your self as to how much you can stock in the tank and deeper tanks need stronger lights to keep the same things happy

i prefer the 15H, even with the lighting drawback mattie mentioned.

the 15H gives you the look of a big tank but with the footprint of a regular 10g. the height also gives you a couple of extra bio-zones (e.g. cave/cryptic, cliffside, low-light, low-flow, etc.) besides the typical high-light zones on top of the LR and high-flow around the corners. hth

I too like the 15 gal Tall, but dont like that it only comes in black line edges. I had a old 10 gal I was not using so I took it apart and bought some 3/8" glass and make a custom one. When I made, it I only made it 16" high instead of the 19" for a store bought 15T. It give me the higer look but doesnt loose as much light. I have a 96w coraline light.

Hi there !

I think that all kinds of tanks become wonderful when you know how to choose the animals to put in it.

The point here is what you plan to keep in your aquarium.

C ya.

Originally posted by snookface1

I too like the 15 gal Tall, but dont like that it only comes in black line edges.

mine's clear edge but it's a faux oak frame. (bleh)

I searched for a black frame one (but they only come in black line), because I wanted it to match my light which was black. It's also sitting on a black table. The other option was to use the tan one as you have.

My main interest is in corals and fish are secondary. As long as I can have at least 1 or 2 fish I'll be happy. Which tank would be better as far as which corals I can keep? The 20 offers more volume obviously, but other than size do the different depths of each tank open or limit my choices?

If the 15 requires more powerful lighting because of it's depth, and the 20 requires bigger/longer lighting because of it's length...aren't they going to be fairly close in cost?

I'm really torn about this. I can see the benifits of the bigger tank, but the tank looks so low(I'm sure it's part optical illusion because of it's length) and the 15 looks proportionally better to my eye, but I don't want to get myself in a situation where I am limited on what animals I can keep or can decorate.

How much more can I actually have in the 20 over the 15 if I am not limited by lighting? Is it going to be a signifigant amount?

There's where the major planning comes in. You need to think about lighting along with the tank selection. I have the modified 15 gal and a 96w coralife fixture. I can see in the future I may want to upgrade to a MH.

Snookface1,

If I could afford MHs now then I would defiantely get them...the way I look at it is that there is more than enough animals that I can keep that don't need MHs to survive to keep me happy(for a while anyways!). If I ever want something that requires such powerful lighting I would just start another tank altogether.

Thanks for the link Johnny!

Looking at an emty 20L sitting in the basement makes it hard to think of how it will look once it's set up! I was worried about being limited by the height, but if I can have a tank that looks even close to Jdsabins' I would be more than happy!! I think I may go with the 20L now......hmmmm

Beautifu tank rehren!

I think I've decided to go with the 20L...besides I already own one so that saves me a little money.

My only question is how do I light it? The tank is 30" long and most lights are 18", 24", or 36"?...like I said above, MHs are not an option...unless I find some ultra cheap used ones.

Archived