Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fin Rot on an Angel?

Whitten

I am asking a question here for my roomie. He has a ten gallon setup with around 15 lbs of LR. The tank has been up and running for almost 4 months now and has great readings. Coraline algae has taken over parts of the tank telling me that the PH and the Amonia levels are even better than what my tests have been telling me. Ok so now on to the problem at hand. He bought a small Coral beauty angel for his tank, and it is the only fish in the tank. Since he got the little scutter it has been very skidish and acting funny by swimming verticly, not to mention that it's fins are all raggedy looking. I was under the impression that most angels were preaty personable, but this thing gets really creaped out at the first sign of people. More importantly the fishes fins are not looking so hot, and I was wondering what could be causing it. Is it stress, or is it just that fishes nature to to have bad fins?

what exactly are the specs of the tank? how long has the fish been in the tank?

i'm not expert, but i think coral beauties or any type of dwarf angels need a larger tank then that. Preferably at least a 30 gallon i believe

Well larger tank or not, I know that a tank size will have about nil to do with what is going on with it's fins.

The fish has been in the tank for about 2 weeks now. It was only after a week of having the fish did we see that the fins became really torn, and ragged.

Archived