Top Shelf Aquatics

Newb - When Does Buying LR Online become cost effective?

theclearblue

I'm setting up a 10 gallon nano after deciding the 20 long was too much of an initial investment.

I went to the only decent LFS within reasonable driving distance and asked about their live rock. I was sufficiently unimpressed for them charging $7/lb. She wouldn't give me the name of their supplier other than saying it was Fiji and some of it was cured and some if it wasn't. So... working this out it would cost around $115.

I'm pretty sure I only want around 16 pounds and with the cost of shipping it doesn't seem like I can make ordering it online cost effective, especially with sites that have minimum orders of $100. I'm on a college student budget so I can't really afford to pay the premium prices. Do you think I should buy it from the LFS, or could you recommend a place that might have good deals?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you buy it at the LFS you can hand pick your pieces, you can also try just buying 10 lbs and see how it looks.

Good idea tow-up. He can keep 20lbs. and sell off the other 25lbs. @ $4 per. Brings his cost of LR down to $2.50/lb.

I always feel for the reefers who have to ship. We get Walt Smith figi for $3.99 here and get to pick our own.

ReeferMadness are good folks and you never see a negative post about them. They'll do you right.

I'm a little hesitant to up the initial investment by buying more than I need. I might have trouble getting the extra live rock off my hands. The reef hobby doesn't seem too popular in Greenville, SC based on the quality (or lack thereof) of the LFS in my area, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable selling it online.

Thanks for everyone's input!

On premium aquatics I can buy the 1.5 pound rock rubble pieces and with overnight it works out to be competitive with my LFS. Can I ship this stuff second day, or is that just asking for trouble (it would really really help with shipping costs to go 2nd day)?

theclearblue..

Reading this with interest as I too am in same boat. Although Fed Ex just trashed my tank so I now have to re order another from someplace else (diff tank, can't get via aqua's here)....the live rock sold here is about $7/lb and not tons of choices.

I contacted a few online places listed on the forums and shipping rock makes me wonder if indeed its cost effective, since I would only need say 15 lbs or so of the stuff.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing and what the rock looks like.

Thanks

etOH, thanks for the link!

No one is answering the phone so they might be closed for the day, but I'm going to see if they can help me out. I'd get the package within two days for sure if they shipped it ground (which would be awesome!) or I could go and pick it up. I'll get a price quote and let you know what I decide.

I'm in debt to all of you.

EtoH,

I owe you big time! What a pleasure this company is to deal with, they responded quickly to my email and are more than happy to work out shipping with me, and seem to be willing to bend over backwards to accomadate me. I'll let you know how the rock looks when I get them shipped to me next week.

Glad it worked out. Would they let you hand pick some rock? The drive from Greenville is not so bad and would have been well worth the trip. I'm hoping to pick my own rock from Dr. Macs tanks in MD. Can't wait to set my tank up!

I left Charleston in July and know how SC seems to be in a world unto itself. I was very surprised to find that these guys are smack in the middle of SC. Very strange to find cool places after you leave a state.

Archived