Pod Your Reef

Macro Algae ... lighting?

WelshMarine

hi , ive got a 94litre nano 12kg of live rock etcc a mate whos got a large tank has got macro algae growing in his sump and hes said i can have some when ever , ive got chambers in the back of the nano , with heater/bio media/ live rock and then the 2 x pumps! would it be possible if i made a little shelf inside one of them to keep some of the algae in the back or would i need very good lighting? thanks

actually this is very common. I'm sorry that i don't have much experience with all in one tanks but you should be able to setup a tinny fugu in one of the chambers. plus there are several macros that could go in the display with out becoming a problem.

what kinds of macro would you be able to get.

for the lighting on my fuge i ran (still do) a standard spiral bulb. should give you plenty of light.

A lot of people (myself included) use one of the chambers in the media rack to keep macroalgae (chaeto is a common choice for the type of algae). A few members on these boards also sell custom media baskets that are a little larger than the stock items that I would recommend looking into.

As for lighting, JBJ has a magnetic refugium light that works well (I run it while the daylights are off in the main tank to prevent temperature increases) and there are a variety of submersble and clip-on lights you can buy to keep the macroalgae growing.

Archived