inTank Media Baskets

PH Help

Shady1984slm

Shady1984slm

My 10 gallon just finished cycling after 3 weeks. It was cycled with cured sand and about 15 lbs cured live rock from another tank. I only did about a gallon water change last week after cycle completed.

My PH is currently and has been the past week since I've been checking on daily basis about 8.0 (salifert Test Kit).

I have added PH buffer to my RO water which. Evaporation is very little in the tank though.

I just tested my freshly mixed saltwater (reef crystals) and the PH actually tested high (8.5-8.6).

It was light blue color using the salifert kit. Should I just do a 3-4 gallon water change to try to get my PH in my tank to the 8.3 range?

Nitrates are 0, Calcium 415, using Salifert. I don't have an Alk kit yet but am getting this weekend.

My Salinity is 1.023.

Thanks

My PH is currently and has been the past week since I've been checking on daily basis about 8.0 (salifert Test Kit).
  • 2 weeks later...
Shady1984slm
8.0 is fine and in the normal range. pH is very complicated; read the link below o learn more. It also explains logically what pH ranges should be called low, high, or normal.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

I have determined that my problem is CO2 buildup in house or atleast in the room that the fish tank is in.

Would a fan blowing across the surface of the tank help release excess CO2 thus raising PH? Running an airline outside is not an option for me.

Blowing a fan won't affect the external carbon dioxide level; chances are your tank is already well aerated. Really, there isn't a problem.

^+1

Keep your Alk ( KH ) in line and your PH will follow suit 99% of the time.

I learned the hard way that chasing magic numbers is an exercise in futility.

I remember being told, "PH usually isn't a problem until you start checking it" ...lol

best-o-luck

Shady1984slm
^+1

Keep your Alk ( KH ) in line and your PH will follow suit 99% of the time.

I learned the hard way that chasing magic numbers is an exercise in futility.

I remember being told, "PH usually isn't a problem until you start checking it" ...lol

best-o-luck

Ok thanks for replies

danthenewreefman

Do you smoke?

I haven't read the thread...but I do, and my pH is ALWAYS 7.8-8.0....but everything is always very happy looking.

just don't worry about it, best advise I can give.

Shady1984slm

update

I have been watching my PH closely this past week. I have been testing before lights come on and after they go off at night.

The avg PH before lights come on is 7.75

The avg PH when lights go off is 8.10

update

I have been watching my PH closely this past week. I have been testing before lights come on and after they go off at night.

The avg PH before lights come on is 7.75

The avg PH when lights go off is 8.10

That's normal. pH is affected by the photosynthesis and the respiration occurring in the tank. I think you're exactly where you need to be pH wise.

Archived