Cultivated Reef

saltwater enthusiast thinking about nano tank

tah532

I am a saltwater enthusiast with a 38 gallon fish and live rock tank. I am seriously considering a nano as well down the road, no bigger than 5 gallons probably less than 5. Would love suggestions on websites that sell complete tank setups, and any other suggestions for equipment in laymens terms. Appreciate all responses. Thanks!

TheCurriculum

Hi tah532

First off, other people here know a great deal more then me as I'm still a newbie, but here's a start.

Their are a few sites I found through google about 12 months ago but are stupidly high priced for 10g saltwater setups.

Most LFS have nano setups now adays

Most of the LFS in Houston have already setup nano's for sale

Granted a 10-12g could cost as much as 300 - 400 setup.(includes coral and inverts)

I don't know of anyone that has a pre made 5g

After starting to make my own 2.5, I've found the hardest thing to do is take your time. post your ideas and make sure you get what you want.

A lot of people have success with the minibow 5 and 7g

Tons of post of how to do the mods your self.

With such a small tank the hardest part of DIY (do it yourself) is making a hood, andor adding the lights to an existing hood.

Poke through the DIY section and the members tank sections.

Find a cool looking 5g. search on that persons post see how they did it.

On a side note. Once I work out all the kinks in my 2.5 and make a couple for my friends I'm going to consider an all in one setup.

Tank and fuge in main section. Matching topoff system to sit next to it. but I have to improve my skills and get my tank up for a couple months before I'm willing to go that route. But thier are people on this site and others that if the price is right will make you what ever (including custom acrylicglass).

spend a couple weeks looking through the old post and the begginers section. Enjoy your stay :D

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/

thankyou very much for your response, i really appreciate it! I will definately keep reading and learning from everyone here! Any other responses appreciated as well! Hey if you can let me see a pic of your 2.5 gallon.

Archived