SaltCritters.com

20xL mixed rimless - SELLING?

d9hp

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats a bit more than i needed.

Kinda makes me want to get a arduino controller. However i have no real use or benefit from it.

Just another flashy toy that i really dont need.

Thanks Clavius...wish I had drilled mine like your new one. That's going to be really nice soon

I said it once and I will say it again, "this tank is just awesome".

I have been in this hobby for a long time and will tell you once you have gone to sump-ed system you will never go back to trying to hang crap on the back of your tank or hide it behind rocks. Not to mention makes working with an ATO much simpler.

Petco is suppose to have the $1.00 per gallon sale back this month. Buy another 20L for $20.00 drill it and move everything over to the new 20L. Turn your current 20L into a sump. You will not regret it.

Petco is suppose to have the $1.00 per gallon sale back this month. Buy another 20L for $20.00 drill it and move everything over to the new 20L. Turn your current 20L into a sump. You will not regret it.

some people dont want a sump for 1 reason or another. I had a sump, wasnt thrilled with it. like sump-less things better

Nice tank, full of colour, everything looks healthy. Worth watching, thanks for sharing.

Thanks nibor. I really appreciate it.

Kinda makes me want to get a arduino controller. However i have no real use or benefit from it.

You say that because you don't have one already. ;)

Very nice video, tank is looking really full.

Thanks patrick. How's your tank settling in after the move to NC?

so jealous!!

Pssssst you're the one with the sweet 40B!

I said it once and I will say it again, "this tank is just awesome".

Thanks Deano. Much appreciated. I would do the petco thing but my tank isn't a standard 20L, it's a custom rimless tank with some funky dimensions that I really love. I've decided that at the end of the year when I move I'm going to build a custom sump for my stand and move all my livestock to a 20L or some other holding tank for a few days while I drill my current tank for an externally mounted bean animal overflow system. This is like 11 months away though...so no reasons to get excited yet!

some people dont want a sump for 1 reason or another. I had a sump, wasnt thrilled with it. like sump-less things better

Noted. I can't imagine not having any equipment in the tank...I can dream though.

love your tank dude its so awsome

do you have a fan on the heat sink?

Thanks LPS. Love hearing things like that.

No fans in the canopy and I don't have any issues. I guess that was the positive about spending $90 on a damn piece of aluminum. I attribute my lack of heat issues to the fact that my heatsink is roughly this size:

juggernaut00.jpg

:D :D

I want your dimensions!!!! I want your corals!!!! I want your setup!!!!

Haha thanks nem fan. I think I'm going to use the ratio of these dimensions for most of my other tanks because it makes it look so much bigger than it really is. The biggest one is the height to length. It's really enjoyable. As for the corals, I bet you wouldn't be as excited if you saw how small they all are!

--------------------------------------------------------------

My big marine depot order comes in today :lol: . I should be able to get some pictures up. I didn't get very much done over the weekend because I now have a second part time job doing some consulting work on top of being a full time graduate student. The good news is that I DID get a helicopter flight lesson yesterday. So dope.

I finished my fuge light using essentially the same method shown here. I am going to pull the AC70 'offline' once I have the new closed loop running so the flow in the tank doesn't drop dramatically while the silicone is curing. I need to add the grate and a few choice pieces of acrylic in order to try and mitigate the light spill. I was planning on ordering a 2nd TLF reactor for carbon but steely has peaked my interested in biopellets, which wouldn't require the other one. We'll see which route I choose to go after the system is installed.

Oh and one last thing that's the absolute biggest ##### of them all...I didn't have any cyanobacteria on my sandbed yesterday...so I don't know what to make of that. I've already got all this equipment here and it makes sense to install it all because 90% is useful even if I make the migration to a sump in the coming months.

The good news is that I DID get a helicopter flight lesson yesterday. So dope.

try jumping out of a plane at 13,500' up. THAT was epic. I was only scared for the first 4 seconds, then i was like "ok this is awesome"

Think im gonna have to try flying a heli, have a couple of plane lessons under my belt but nothing crazy.

Got my order in finally (7PM)

Unpacked everything and made sure the pump was running fine: it's awesome. Priming the system is not going to be very fun but should only need to be done once. I was hoping I was going to be able to use one specific piece of hardware to finish everything but I probably won't have this system running until Wednesday or Thursday.

Enjoy some pictures:

Fuge light & fan

5344606299_ab08426edf.jpg

5344606109_1e71e2aeb4_z.jpg

5345216804_7fe565af95.jpg

Waited so impatiently:

5344605289_fa2acebaf9.jpg

5344605527_d7d73cc741.jpg

5344605723_7a62a72f9b.jpg

And the reason for it the whole deal:

5345216110_5208af1473_b.jpg

try jumping out of a plane at 13,500' up. THAT was epic. I was only scared for the first 4 seconds, then i was like "ok this is awesome"

Think im gonna have to try flying a heli, have a couple of plane lessons under my belt but nothing crazy.

I love the free fall feeling but I don't like the thought of the parachute being folded wrong and not opening lol

Now try it naked... There's an experince I won't soon forget. A close second to watching a girl puke on the grav-a-tron...

I love the free fall feeling but I don't like the thought of the parachute being folded wrong and not opening lol

Terrifying indeed. I'll go one day but for the next year my money is going into this tank, helicopter flight time, and dog food.

whoa whoa whoa... what is all of this stuff?

I don't want to tear the tank down in order to drill for a sump and the mame overflow can't be 'had' until probably April or May. I want a sump, but it just can't happen until I tear the tank down and move in December. In the mean time I needed a better method of nutrient export and more flow to combat the cyano I was dealing with. So last week (when I still had cyano) I ordered a lot of parts with the idea that I would convert my AC70 into a fuge.

Doing that took away my current hideout for carbon and GFO so I felt it would be wise to get a reactor. I still need to buy another reactor so I can separate the media but for a month they'll be fine in the same one. I can change it out all at once when the next one arrives. I also wanted to buy a pump I could use when I do in fact get a sump and the resounding opinion was to buy Eheim and forget it. So I did.

I have the fuge light built (shown above) and will pull it down and silicone in the grate and what not once I get the closed loop running so I don't drastically change the flow in the tank all at once.

Here's the plan:

5346286666_ebf21f8e74_b.jpg

Output of the loop are two flare nozzles that will be used to create surface agitation and hopefully more random turbulent flow in the upper column of water.

+1 are you setting up a sump

nice shots of the tank btw

Sump to come in a year but about 90% of these parts can be used once that happens. I'd say about $20 of plumbing will get the boot and the rest is still in business.

Thanks man.

Now try it naked...

What?! That's insane. How awkward was the flight up?

-----Didn't quote Wilioli for some reason but I'm glad someone referenced that video haha. Thanks for the compliment I really loved that photo. There's a few more similar to it that I didn't upload.

how the red plant doing now?

what type of camera are you using.

was wondering cause your pic are awsome.

The red planet has all its color but it's completely red. I read that if you want the green you need to place it in an area of lower light so I think I'm just going to get another frag of it eventually. It has already encrusted the superglue I used to mount it and hopefully it will start to cover the rock.

I'm using a Nikon D60. Those shots were all taken with the 35mm f/1.8 lens, which is a remarkable lens considering it wasn't even $200 when I got it two years ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Posted this in Med's thread and forgot to here. I think my sixline is dead. I didn't see it at all yesterday and it wasn't in either chamber of the skimmer box or the filter. That's the only place it could have feasibly jumped and not been found behind the tank. Dog can't get back there either. Body wasn't anywhere either so I'm assuming it just got eaten by the few crabs and nass snails in the tank. Sad story.

I know they're experts at hiding but it should have come out when I fed. Everyone else looks fine and I tested ammonia to be safe: 0ppm.

I was really really hoping that you saw the video -- and that I wasn't going to be just that weirdo who says weird things.. .lol -- I'm sorry to hear about the sixline -- i hope its still there... this jumping fish problem is starting to get to me!

just a question about your diagram -- for me to understand -- the eheim gets water out of the tank, and pumps to phosban and back into the tank? and from phosban to carbon to the tank? I didn't realize you could have reactors without a sump... thats friggin amazing...

scubasteve2580

very nice tank. are you concerned with coral placment at all? from what ive seen in my own tank when they get growing its fast. when they touch bad things happen. i have some coral that are growing close together and i believe the chemical warfare has my tank out of wack. i have to do water changes every couple of days or my zoas start dieing and my clam pinches up.

Now try it naked... There's an experince I won't soon forget. A close second to watching a girl puke on the grav-a-tron...

I'm not exactly confident with my body just yet. I did lose 50 pounds prior to my surgery ( 230 down to 180 & I'm 5'7"). But still would want to lose another 15-20 before I attempt any outdoor nude activities. The only living soles that see me naked are my wife & fish ( maybe that's why they act strange)

Anyway as I ramble on & on. Are you going to incorporate a scwd in your closed loop?

Hows the rimless holding up, can't remember if I asked you already. Saw someone else who completely de rimmed a 20 long, I'm tempted to go grab another 20 long at petco and de rim it and use it when I move.

I'm not exactly confident with my body just yet. I did lose 50 pounds prior to my surgery ( 230 down to 180 & I'm 5'7"). But still would want to lose another 15-20 before I attempt any outdoor nude activities. The only living soles that see me naked are my wife & fish ( maybe that's why they act strange)

Anyway as I ramble on & on. Are you going to incorporate a scwd in your closed loop?

That's some crazy weight loss! Good for you!

But don't worry, every part of every person on the formation was flapping. Think sharpei in a wind tunnel...

Cool idea with the sumpless reactor. Looking forward to seeing it operational.

I was really really hoping that you saw the video -- and that I wasn't going to be just that weirdo who says weird things.. .lol -- I'm sorry to hear about the sixline -- i hope its still there... this jumping fish problem is starting to get to me!

just a question about your diagram -- for me to understand -- the eheim gets water out of the tank, and pumps to phosban and back into the tank? and from phosban to carbon to the tank? I didn't realize you could have reactors without a sump... thats friggin amazing...

The eheim pulls water from the same place that my remora does (the surface skimming box) via a 3/4" strainer.

It then flows down below the tank in the stand and into a Y shaped tee. Both of these new lines have inline ball valves to tone down the flow. One goes to cascaded phosban reactors (one holds phosban one will hold carbon) and then back to the tank. The side with the reactors should be very very slow (30-50gph), and I honestly think that I'm going to have to mount the reactors behind the tank closer to level with the rim because I'm not sure I'll be able to push water up and keep the GFO/carbon tumbling like I want. That's yet to be determined.

Both returns feed to these guys:

FT0001_99.jpg

Problem is that I thought I could squeeze .5" ID tubing on the .625"ID-tube. I'm not the juggernaut and that's not working so I have to get a few more pieces to make it happen. I should have the system running by Friday or Saturday afternoon and then I hope to have the fuge kicking sometime next week.

very nice tank. are you concerned with coral placment at all? from what ive seen in my own tank when they get growing its fast. when they touch bad things happen. i have some coral that are growing close together and i believe the chemical warfare has my tank out of wack. i have to do water changes every couple of days or my zoas start dieing and my clam pinches up.

I am moderately concerned with coral placement. My biggest issue currently is the softies in the tank because they obviously grow waaaaay too fast (except the xenia, which hasn't grown a cm in almost two months). The GSP is the biggest one but I like it too much to get rid of so it's going to just continue growing.

Nice work dropping the 50lbs man. That's a huge number!

No scwd because I'm using such a low GPH and the two returns are at different rates. If I end up getting a sump I'll eventually drill for an ocean motions squirt or something similar. That's a long ways off.

Hows the rimless holding up, can't remember if I asked you already. Saw someone else who completely de rimmed a 20 long, I'm tempted to go grab another 20 long at petco and de rim it and use it when I move.

Drifty's tank is a de-rimmed AGA 20L but mine was a custom tank that was designed to be rimless. It has 3/8" glass so it's essentially a tank (think military tank, not the obvious one).

But don't worry, every part of every person on the formation was flapping. Think sharpei in a wind tunnel...

Cool idea with the sumpless reactor. Looking forward to seeing it operational.

I don't know if I should laugh or cringe but either way that's an awesome story haha

Thanks, should have things running in a few days. :)

Archived