Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Which metal halide bulb

Perpetual98

Ok, I know this isn't a nano question, but I just got hooked up with a 120g tank that is 4' x 2' x 2'. I have a 400W metal halide fixture with an Advance ballast in it. The fixture accepts mogul bulbs (large screw in). Which bulb should i go with. I'd like some SPS corals. I've read that 6500 is close to true sunlight, 10k is nice and white, and 20k is blueish representing deeper water. Would something like a 10k with actinic supplimentation be the best route?

One 400 watter isn't going to have enough coverage to light the whole tank. You're going to have some pretty shady areas on either side of the tank. With that said, most people prefer 10kk with actinic supplements.

With what you want, I wouldnt trade the 400, I would instead get another. I run a 400watter over my 60cube, 2'x2'x2', exactly half of a 120. I intend on switching to dual 250wattDEs, only because I want to run one as a 20,000K for blue, and the other as a 10,000K for pure output. I have clams and acro currently, but I think they could go for more, as I am using a 14,000K bulb...significantly less PAR than a 10,000K, and it's about the same output as a 10,000K 250watt. If you use two 400watters on a 120, and add a couple 96watt actinics, you should have perfect lighting for anything you want.

Doing some real quick calculations, that would cost about $30 a month to just run the lights 12 hours a day.

Anyone got a DIY plan for a nuclear power plant? :)

Archived