SaltCritters.com

Culturing Rotifier - option of feeding them?

thewire

I need to find a frugal way to feed the rotifier. After been reading a couple forums and articles, i found out there are 3 options to feed the rotifier

1) Culturing your own phytoplankton by buying the nano culture kits from Florida Aqua Farm

Pro: massive phytoplankton and reculture and possible reselling for profits

Con: expensive start up cost, and need to reculture stock from FAF every 4 months or so, potential crash, setup space, labor intensive

2) Using Algae Paste from Reed

Pro: Slightly cheaper, almost no space required, maybe some freezer space

Con: population of roti is limited to what you have on the paste, might be expensive in long run???

3) Feeding roti with yeast based product - like bakery yeast (add selco 12 hours prior to feeding roti to larvas)

Pro: very cheap

Con: No idea how to it...

I am still confused with all the options up there....any suggestion?

Goal: reduce cost and labor

anyone?

ive heard culturing ur own live phytoplankton from DT's or the algae disks is the best way to feed them as well as the cheapest in the longrun :D

I'll trade you phyto for rots :). I culture my own phyto and its not hard at all.

...I am trying to learn how to LOL

ive heard culturing ur own live phytoplankton from DT's or the algae disks is the best way to feed them as well as the cheapest in the longrun :D

From what I read from Marine breeder forum and somewhere else, i heard some ppl use the paste or yeast to raise roti..but how?

From what I read from Marine breeder forum and somewhere else, i heard some ppl use the paste or yeast to raise roti..but how?

ive only heard of feeding with live phytoplankton. sorry :mellow:

i wanted to start culturing phytoplankton as well as rotifers because im starting to breed clownfish. i know they wont start to spawn for months but i wanted to know where i could find both of them. i cant find them at any fish stores where i live and i didnt want to order any online but if thats what it takes, ill do it. anyone know where to get both phytoplankton (algae) disks and rotifers at the same online store? thanks

Why are you culturing rots? To feed your tanks, for breeding? I would go with one of the first two options.

I want to give breeding clown a try. I used to breed cichlids.. Also the goal here is to minimized the work load as much as possible and reduce cost in long run. I want to reduce the phytoplankton work load to almost zero and concentrate on getting the roti and care for the larva instead.

I think I narrow my choice down to option 2 and 3....Also culturing your own phytoplankton required more spaces and more equipments that I have ....mostly space I don't have and mess that I will made my "owner" pissed off at me and force me to sleep in the couch! :)

reefer4ever: florida Aqua Farm sells the disc...and Reed sells the other part..

I want to give breeding clown a try. I used to breed cichlids.. Also the goal here is to minimized the work load as much as possible and reduce cost in long run. I want to reduce the phytoplankton work load to almost zero and concentrate on getting the roti and care for the larva instead.

I think I narrow my choice down to option 2 and 3....Also culturing your own phytoplankton required more spaces and more equipments that I have ....mostly space I don't have and mess that I will made my "owner" pissed off at me and force me to sleep in the couch! :)

reefer4ever: florida Aqua Farm sells the disc...and Reed sells the other part..

Okay let's start here

I've been breeding clowns for a few years. Not an expert but like the challenge. I started as you looking for advice and nobody wantes to help so I learned from trial and error and error and error

Roti are simple

Algea paste will grow them the best but gotta keep it refrigerated(yes I have forgot several times and spoiled my paste). Expensive up front but minimal space is needed and easy to use. Freeze most and use the rest up within 30 days.

I just recently started using algeamac from seahorse source and like the product but my roti density isn't there like with the paste.

Your rotis will crash I can guarontee that but a lil secret that I learned it the crude that collects on the bottom of your roti buckets(I use 5 gallon ones) house the innoculation for the next culture so don't get frustrated. I also use a few drop of prime every feeding to keep amonia down. Any other questions just ask me. You can post in my breeding thread and I will answer you there. Easier that way for me since I am using a bb and it will email me.

Okay let's start here

I've been breeding clowns for a few years. Not an expert but like the challenge. I started as you looking for advice and nobody wantes to help so I learned from trial and error and error and error

Roti are simple

Algea paste will grow them the best but gotta keep it refrigerated(yes I have forgot several times and spoiled my paste). Expensive up front but minimal space is needed and easy to use. Freeze most and use the rest up within 30 days.

I just recently started using algeamac from seahorse source and like the product but my roti density isn't there like with the paste.

Your rotis will crash I can guarontee that but a lil secret that I learned it the crude that collects on the bottom of your roti buckets(I use 5 gallon ones) house the innoculation for the next culture so don't get frustrated. I also use a few drop of prime every feeding to keep amonia down. Any other questions just ask me. You can post in my breeding thread and I will answer you there. Easier that way for me since I am using a bb and it will email me.

Thanks for the info. Since the larva required 5 days feeding on roti, how do you keep the culture going at the minimum, like a 2l pop bottle if you are in between breeding?

Thanks for the info. Since the larva required 5 days feeding on roti, how do you keep the culture going at the minimum, like a 2l pop bottle if you are in between breeding?

I grow mine in 5 gallon buckets. Usually 2 white ones so I can keep an eye on them(crap shows really good on white). 3/4 full at all times. The reason for redundancy is in case of a crash. Always keep a back up. Never tried pop bottles too small for me. In between hatching you can drain off the excess water and slow the feed amount and that will retard the roti growth also lower the temp down but usually I don't have time to do that.

I breed three sets of clowns so no rest for the weary

• 1 month later...

Something you may want to consider is that the feed - what you feed your rots, from my understanding, is the primary source of nurtrition for the fry. If you get a sub par feed you will have problems.

I just made the switch this week from nano3600 to the rotifergrow plus (both from Reeds) and I can already see a major difference. Yes it isn't cheap but going cheap and yielding no or bad results is more expensive. Trust me... I know.

The first time I purchased the stuff I split it between 8 / 8 oz bottles and froze 7. This time I purchased a litre and split it between 14 bottles. Just a couple of ounces in each bottle. This way I'm sure to keep cycling in fresh food.

As a back up I also rotate 6 / 5 gallon buckets. 2 active, 2 with residue at the bottom to restart if needed and 2 cleaned and ready to swap out.

It may be redundant and I haven't needed use these yet but I also keep back up rotifers in the refrigerater. 2 bottles - 1 of which gets changed every week so the rots in the fridge never go more then 2 weeks. Rotifers can live up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator in a bottle that was fed and left with the cap loose.

Tonight should be my first hatch with the new feed - so I'm curious to see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice Pickle. I also forgot to tell thewire that people local to us could prob get you started with rots and some phyto. We have several clown breeders in the two local clubs.

Archived