ReefCleaners.org

pH?

mastahluong

mastahluong

Hey guys, I'm seriously considering setting up a macro dominated tank approximately a 10 gal tank with live rock and the macro's doing most of the filtration(read: no sump/refugium). Do you guys have any problems with the pH fluctuating? Or do you guys buffer to help stabilize the pH?

I can't remember specifics but envy talks about ph control & buffering in her thread.

The difference in O2 production by the macros from day to night, will affect the PH stability. But this could be compensated for by the use of a skimmer. Down side is that it will compete with the macros for nutrients. But most of us have enough to go around in our tanks.

macros release carbon dioxide at night, (and during the day) as a result of the Calvin cycle. It is referred to in the hobby as the algae's "night cycle", because during the day the algae releases more oxygen than carbon dioxide. At night algae no longer releases oxygen, so the net results is a release of carbon dioxide lowering ph. It isn't drastic, and it shouldn't be a big issue. When algae starts to die however it releases a good deal of carbon dioxide and in a crash situation with the death of a large specimen in a poorly buffered tank the change can be large enough to cause a chain reaction among the remaining algae. Adequate surface, and good room ventilation is therefore a good idea and should take care of it. A fall in the drain before your sump if you have one will help, I realize your tank probably won't have one but others might be reading.

Thanks bitts and John! I'll eventually see how the much pH will fluctuate and eventually might add buffering agent to my top offs. But just like you said John, hopefully it won't be too much a of drastic change in the pH.

a small hang on back refugium on a reverse light cycle would help to offset any pH fluctuations, as well. but like john said, the normal day-night fluctuation isn't usually too bad.

a small hang on back refugium on a reverse light cycle would help to offset any pH fluctuations, as well. but like john said, the normal day-night fluctuation isn't usually too bad.

I had thought about that but since this was going to be mainly macro algae tank I really didn't see a need for a HOB refugium with say some cheato.

for nutrient export, no, it wouldn't be necessary. but as a natural way of regulating pH without resorting to buffering additives, it becomes a much more attractive solution.

Archived