Pod Your Reef

Monti Cap

redrocket

Has anyone heard of any methods to get monti caps to start whirling upward? More flow, less flow, less light, more light?

I have one now and all its is doing is flattening out.

how big is the base, it will grow a good base before it does that. also, stronger light will encourage it to grow upward, and less light will encourage tabling.

Sounds like a flow issue then. I believe corals will branch more, and in the caps case, curl more if the flow is heavier, but I have not had too much exp. in person with growing caps so.... someone else may have to field this... Now I am even second guessing my first answer. I will look it up at home tonight fer ya.

I agree with the higher flow. when I had mine in low flow it grew outwards like a plate, since it has been moved to a higher flow area it has started growing upwards more. light amount has not changed, nor distance from coral to light - except since it's started upwards groth.

• 4 weeks later...

That may be correct in the case of table Montipora sp., however branching stonies will actually grow thicker and slower in the presence of high flow. In both cases it is to increase stability.

Archived