Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Forum!

johnmaloney

AM what do you think about taking your post on livestock in the macro thread & starting a dedicated thread from it. To cover topics like the relationship of specific species to the macro's in their native biotope. Then moving to the needs that arise from it. How proper use of macro's can improve survival rates for more difficult to keep stock.

Thought I'd ask every for everyones thoughts towards another point of layout. In the lighting forum there is a dedicated thread to led, mh, t5 & so on. Would it be useful perhaps to do the same thing for some of the more discussed macro's. like cheto, ulva, calurpa & so forth. Then have them linked back to the macro thread as a list of macro faq's. So with out being a sticky they would still be easily found.

My concern though is my gut says to not make any unnecessary threads.

Instead of getting too specific, you might try generalized threads based on the broad taxonomic groups, like say green algae (Chlorophyta), red algae (Rhodophyta), brown algae (Heterokontophyta), and finally higher plants (seagrasses and mangroves).

Instead of getting too specific, you might try generalized threads based on the broad taxonomic groups, like say green algae (Chlorophyta), red algae (Rhodophyta), brown algae (Heterokontophyta), and finally higher plants (seagrasses and mangroves).

I would agree that this is a much better method. It both limits the number of threads we have to create while organizing the forum to prevent multiple threads on the same topic. (well that's the idea at least)

What does every one else think?

• 5 months later...
The first three posts, while informative, have gotten extremely long. It's a good idea to cut down on the white space (i.e. double or even triple spacing between individual links or photos) and possibly moving some information to other relevant threads, such as moving photos to the threads devoted to different algae groups and the external links to the links directory (under the library tab) and then leaving one or a few links to the relevant section in the links directory.

For algae, try looking for phycology textbooks and maybe a cell biology or botany textbook for more general info. For specific recommendations, try looking for recommended textbooks used in undergraduate college courses.

I have started to cut down the main post. I am planing to rewrite it to be simular to the write up on sandbeds in the biofiltration forum. How ever I plane to limit the word count much more. I have found some books & have started to sketch out a basic outline. with this in mind I would like to make sure all the topics people want are included. lakswadeep thank you for the input on improving things to this point. Sorry to have not been faster on implementing them. would you agree then that the id/picture post should be separated out to the algae specific threads for red green & brown. Then cutting the 2nd post out. I'm thinkin that the main post would be a listing of specific algae's which would also act as a table of contents linking you to the algae's post.

I did try & move the links to the links directory but as far as I can tell its disappeared. so I have moved all the links & articles to a new thread which is linked back to the macro threads main post. which is I think probably the best way to do things. having the macro thread act as the table of contents for the forum so as to not have any stickys added.

Archived