ReefCleaners.org

Live Sand and Lighting

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Guest LudavicoTechnique

I hope you guys like answering questions as much as I like asking them!

1. For my 20g clownfish tank (still in the planning stage), can I buy 5 pounds of live sand and mix it with something else? I really cant afford so 25 lbs of live sand on top of everything else so I was wondering if it can be mixed and still be beneficial.

2. I am planning to construct my own canopy for the PC lights. Will 2 x 23 watt PC be enough, or should I get three fixtures and put a blue one in too?

3. (Gotta sneak this one in) What anemones will host a common clownfish (Amphiperon Ocellaris)?

Thanks for all the awesome answers so far!

(Edited by LudavicoTechnique at 4:46 pm on June 25, 2002)

1.  That's fine... don't even need that much.  Get playsand ($4 / 50lbs.) and spread LS on top.  You don't even need 5#.  A cup or two will do the job.  You can get this for free from your LFS if you lay on the charm :)

2&3.  That may be enough light for some things, but I doubt it will do for anemones.  Clowns don't need anemones to be happy.  There are several options in corals that a clown may take too.  You may be better off going in that direction.  Plus you won't limit the diversity in your tank that you would if you go with an anemone.  In any event, wait for more experienced help to come dancing through.

You can definitely get 15-20 lbs of dead sand and seed it with 5 lbs of live sand. The critters and bugs will multiply pretty quickly IME. I will defer to someone with more knowledge on your lighting question. As far as anemones, most things I have read say they don't do very well in tanks and should be left to expert reef keepers. However, there are alternative potential hosts for clowns, such as frogspawn, bubble coral, leather corals, etc. A search on here for "host" should yield a lot of useful information.

For the sand part.... I just recently made a refugium for my 10g, for the sand I put fresh non-live arogonate sand in it. about 2 inches worth. then took my fish net and got 2 scoops out of my main tank and mixed it in with the fresh stuff..  I cycled the refugium for a very short while, I could not beleive how  fast it took for the whole sandbed to be filled with life...  

When I started my tank I did not have any live sand, just non-live.. and man I wish I had a bit to mix in because it took a long time for my cycling to finish. yes , You should be fine to add a bit of live to non-live sand.

yeah you can go cheap on the sand and rock if you want since they will becoming live as the cycling process goes.

you may want to do more lighting on the 20g. might want to try 2 55W or 3 55W.

Archived