Pod Your Reef

How to install this darn thing...any ideas

jjharrisx4

Ok...I purchased a special from an online retailer and now I need to figure out what to do with it. The deal was 2x36w PC complete with bulbs, ballast and wires/sockets for 40$. I've got it, but installation is a question. The ballast is basically just a circuit board (no case). It is wired to the sockets already, and has the power cable installed as well. My question has to do with a few specific areas.

#1. Where should I install the ballast/circuit board? my canopy is wood, and is painted white. I'm probably going to use plexi mirrors to enhance reflection so no metal there.

#2. Do I attach the ballast directly to the canopy with screws (no case for the ballast) or is there some other safer way to do it?

#3. What do I do with the green ground wire from the power plug?

It is an electronic ballast, so I guess that's a good thing. Here is a pic...

Now, these are just my recommendations, but I hope they help.

First, I'd put the ballast in some sort of enclosure. Go to Radio Shack or any other electronics supply store and you should be able to find a case it'll fit in, preferably plastic (easier to mount the board in). I'd cut a couple of ventilation slots or holes in the case, too.

You do not want to accidently touch the electronics of a ballast. You'll get one hell of a hit from it.

I'd also keep the ballast out of the canopy. This is very much a personal preference thing, but my rationale is that I can easily hide it behind the aquarium, and it makes too much heat to be inthe canopy.

If you choose to leave the ballast in the canopy, having it in a case will allow you to safely use metal screws to attach the case to the wood in the canopy. Without a case, you have to be VERY careful about how you mount it. From the picture, I can't really tell if there are any proper mounting points on it, but odds are using metal screws will be difficult.

As for the ground wire, it's purpose is to ground a case, so that if a short occurs, you don't zap yourself touching the case. Since your canopy is wood, and my recommended ballast case is plastic, the ground wire is pretty much useless and can be tucked away somewhere.

Good luck,

Matthew

i was scared they would be hard to mount.....if i get them i was thinking about putting them in 2 gutted all-glass hoods....and sit the ballast on top....keep us posted.......

mount the balast externaly AS FAR AWAY FROM THE TANKS AS POSSIBLE. salt will destroy it. Secondly. You should have spent the $ and gotten a balast box for it on a GOOD light, as U now have to hunt for a case. Third, the plexiglass will release gasses that are harmfull to the tank when it gets hot and it will warp. Fourth, the Ground wire should be... uh grounded. If U are not sure where to ground it to, You should call an electrucian as stray current in your reeftank can cause problems and is a cause of LHLE in many fish. Finaly Fith, go to an automotive supply store and get some wireing conduit. It is plastic and will allow the mess jumble of wires to be hidden. Make sure U use a GFI plug decepticle too... or else........

BOOM !

If I understand correctly about the ground wire, the plug has an actual ground prong, which gets connected to the household common when plugged into a socket.

The ground wire coming out of the back of the plug with the two power wires for the ballast, is meant for connecting the case and/or other conducting materials that may contact the electronics, to the household common. Thus, it is meant to be connected to mounting screws, metal cases, etc.. It does NOT get connected to a household common, as that would pretty much defeat the purpose.

Matthew

The bulb with socket is 17" long.

I've been thinking about the install for this...I've currently got the lighting unit for an Eclipse 1 in this canopy. There is room to leave that in, and install the 2x36w PCs, then I could install the ballast inside of the eclipse enclosure. That protects the ballast from water and me from touching it. I can cut a few vent holes in the light cover and heat will be vented. What do you think?

I purchased this from www.petsupplyliquidator.com

They were very fast...ordered monday night, at my house wednesday afternoon. good prices!

Here are pics of the progress...I'm still looking for bulb clips in my area (LFS is out) so no pics on the tank yet.

how do you intend to protect the exposed ballast from water? one little drop while it has power, and you could lose the whole thing, and even blow a bulb or two.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with it like that over an aquarium, even if I had glass between it and the water. Accidents can happen.

You can't tell from these pics but the ballast is totally covered and protected from spray. I think it'll be fine. This tank is in my office so I'm gonna just run the lights while I'm at work for a week or so the be sure there are no problems with wiring etc. Here is a pic with them over the tank.

I don't think I'll need a fan because the canopy is open in the back and is in an area with good air circulation. Only time will tell. I'm getting a lot of comments on the lighting from my office mates though...It makes the tank look totally cleaner and alive.

Sorry, I couldn't pick out the cover over the ballast before. I agree, it's probably just fine. Unless you decide to accidently drop the canopy in the tank. :)

At which point, i think the ballast would only be one concern of many.

So my advice to you: Don't drop the canopy in the tank.

Wise advice...and will be taken, that's for sure. I think that's comparable to telling someone not to play on the freeway :-)

Thanks for the advice and feedback!

LOL

Just a little quick question, your boss doesn't mind you having that aquarium on your desk? (or by any chances, are you "the" boss?)

If i could do that at work, i would use the biggest MH i could find, eck i would put 2 on there, and let them pay the bills ;)

seriously, you've done a great job, and the new lighting really makes a difference :)

have fun with the tank.

-Shadow

Well....I'm not the boss yet. Actually, my boss loves the tank. I have it so people standing in the main area of our central office can see it in the entryway of my office. I love it!

Cool idea to use the Eclipse lighting bay for this. I was wondering what the hey I'd do with those if I retrofitted my Eclipse hoods....

Archived