Top Shelf Aquatics

red brain dying???

gabbeyshell

i made a huge mistake by ordering a red brain and it arrived last wed. before it got here my husband thank god, ordered our new lighting system since we didn't have the $$$$ to fund for a larger tank. He got a 96 coralreef powerquad. but my dilema now is I noticed that the brain is not in full color and my pepp shrimp was picking dead tissue off the skeleton. it's only a little bit, but my ?? is the brain going to make it. the light arrives tomorrow, which will have been 1week since the brain has been in the tank. my perimeters are fine. i dose w/ 2step b-ionic and feed phytoplex 3x wk. will it regenerate the dead skin???? and i assume that the color will improve w/ the light??

I have a red open brain in the sand of my 10g, using the same light. Something fell on it once and part of it turned white, but it went away. Maybe you can point a flashlight at it for a few hours, heh. Put the light on for a couple of hours at first. Even if it doesn't make it, ya gotta try. Any tentacles coming out of it? Try giving it a bit of mysis directly into the mouth. Mine wouldn't take any when it was ####ed, but I tried...

Has the pep shrimp been picking for a long time? Post your tank params, do some water tests especially CA & ALK since you use B-ionic. I've only used phytoplex to dip a frogspawn when it had brown jelly, I've never put it directly into the tank. I'd say that the brain will be much happier when you get those new lights.

just an update, received my 96w powerquad and after 5hrs, the brain perked up, it is redder and green in the center. like it should be!!!

Archived