Pod Your Reef

Whats with my water?

bananahands

bananahands

My solana has been up for roughly 5 months. Everything is thriving and other than an early problem with a little GHA (gone now) its been smooth sailing.

I haven't tested my water in a while so I went ahead and tested for everything I could.

The Results:

Temp- 79*

Salinity- 1.025

Ph- 7.8

Ammonia-0.25

Nitrites- 1.0

Nitrates- 0

Calcium- 420

Mag- 1380

KH- DKH 7

Phosphates 1.0

I can't figure out why I have Ammonia and nitrites at all. But what I think is even more strange is that I have 0 nitrates. I don't have a fuge or anything. The only means of exporting the nutrients is by water change. I change 5g a week. The last water change was 2 days ago. Shouldn't I have some measurable amount of nitrates? I tested twice with two separate test kits. One of which is brand new.

To me these results would only make sense on a tank that hasn't completed a cycle. My tank is going on 6 months old.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and for anyone wondering my phosphates are 1.0 because my filters in my RO/DI unit needed changing for about a month before I realized. I've changed them and now have 0 TDS.

lakshwadeep

Test kit brands?

Have you tried using RO/DI water to see what 0 ppm ammonia and nitrites really look like?

What's your livestock list? 0 ppm nitrates is not common, but it's also not out of the question.

+1 I'm thinking your test kit is off. If you are using API or similar - give the tubes AND caps a good scrub, dry, rinse with tank water, dry, and test. That's what I do.

bananahands

Yes, they're api. I know what it should look like, i've used them many times. I'll give cleaning them a try.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Archived