Cultivated Reef

Transporting Clown Eggs?

ericm1205

HI

I want to try and raise some Occ clown eggs and a fellow reefer who has a pair that lay constantly that he doesnt raise when they hatch so he offered them to me.

i been doing alot of research on the subject of clown husbandry and reading all the awesome threads here and other sites but nothing like this has been discussed at all.

how would i safely transport the freshly laid eggs that are on a tile in another tank, in another house, to my tank in my house? i am sure i would need some of his water for the eggs to hatch. but what other things must i consider to be able to do this properly to raise viable clowns?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have read not to expose the eggs to air. If that helps

Sorry haven't more info for you

Exposing them to air is not a problem its letting them dry that is. I transport my eggs from a tank in the house to my breeders in the garage without a problem. If it was going to be a long trip then you will need a air pump and a heater to keep the eggs viable.

i would say a deep cycle battery, 110v inverter, and a pump/heater to maintain flow and temperature. after you get them home safely, i have no clue.

i would say a deep cycle battery, 110v inverter, and a pump/heater to maintain flow and temperature. after you get them home safely, i have no clue.

Since you'd be in a car I doubt you'd need the battery, just use the 12V receptacle in the car to power the inverter. Unless you are walking a mile. Could possible use one of those $14 battery operated pumps? Maybe even an instant hand warmer to regulate temps until you get home? If money is an issue that is. I don't know if any of this is a good idea though so I'd wait until a more experienced person chimes in.

danthenewreefman

never bred anything salt, but bred few cichlids species for couple years.

taking out of water wasn't a problem, I transported "wigglers" room to room in a net. 99.9% survived

I'd say most important thing is not letting water around them get stagnant, maybe that battery powered bubble-er I've seen advertised as a backup for power going out?

yeah and temp dropping quickly would DEF kill them.

again no experience with salt breeding.

Archived