Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ajmckay's contest thread - w/Water!

ajmckay

Dude, whatever happened to Wesley Snipes? Is he dead?

Yeah MS is getting a call tonight. I'm pissed.

Seabass: Thanks for the comments on the overflow. That be authentico wata raht thar.

On a side note, do you think anyone would consider me lazy if I just left the rock scape as it is now? Strangely enough it's starting to grow on me a little. My last tank was so organized and everything was stacked just so, that it feels nice to have some randomness.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the towers randomly flairing out of the structure. If it were me, I'de open up the base a little bit... But that's just me ;) Glad to see this thing running! Thanks for the updates!

I'm kinda liking the rocks as is to. would say to move things away from the glass maybe on the left enough to fit a mag scraper in there. but looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha... I'm really taking my time with this tank. Mechanically it's coming together nicely. I just transferred everything over from the 29g, so now that I have more space I really do need to start putting together a plan for the extra space.

So yeah I think it could stand to be re-thought.

or..

0502_mine_Eric_Arvizu.jpg

Oh, BTW, I have RO/DI now!!!!

890_0074.jpg

I got a pretty good deal on a BRS 5 stage + drinking water (had to justify it to my wife).

Of course after I finished installing the whole thing I turned on the water and it shot everywhere! The culprit?

890_0073.jpg

This little coupling had broken. Which I thought strange since the steel bracket should hold everything together, right? It took me like 2 hours and driving to 5 different stores, but I eventually found a replacement locally (everyone had a brass one, but nobody had a nylon one).

More innuendo?!

Actually it was quite the mess... I'm also in the middle of a basement renovation so there's sawdust, wood chunks, dirt, nails, and in general it's messy all over the place. I knocked down all the walls (none load bearing), and I'm re-partitioning it. There's debris everywhere, and having a bunch of water flowing all over the floor to the drain didn't help. It did help me realize some things about future wall placement though! Somehow I've got to leave the drain in the laundry room.

Hahaha.... I already voted... I didn't really go through the entire thread, if I could have voted for myself though I would have done that! Then again it still probably wouldn't matter. The contest is really between 2 tanks...

• 1 month later...
Hahaha... YEah a bunch have just wrapped up (sort of) KG, bones, etc...

If MD would just make up his mind :unsure: Haha... I dunno if he's ready for a custom build.

I still have the fuge though that I need to set up. My tank still looks horribly bare. It's my daughters 1st bday next week so Saturday I'm going to pick up a few corals from a local to purty up my tank a bit.

Sometime soon I'll get serious about the fuge though. As I type I'm scheming ways to get some extra cash money...

Figured I could bump your thread & keep from jacking his.

MD's seems to not have the same potential as say yours, kgolds, seabass, bones. believe it or not I'm about to throw my 75 together, finally. Which means it may be up mid to later summer knowing me. :lol:

the one I'm looking forward to at this point is D9's monster folr build may be a ways off but still. ya gotta love it.

Enjoy that B-day! Its one of those things you can't believe how big its going to be until its happened.

Haha... Yeah better than jacking his thread.

I was just joking about MD's. I mean It's not that I don't think he can do it, or even that you need to have some sort of custom setup to have a cool tank. 'cause in the end it's really just about the livestock and the presentation comes second. I just think he'd be better served by a more "conforming" setup to start with.

So you're going to set up a 75 eh? That's going to be awesome. What dimensions exactly?

I had a neighbor a long time ago with a 75 FW. It was really impressive because he had 2 or 3 large schoals of various small community fish. I'm talking like 20+ small tetras. They were really amazing to watch. On top of that it was a planted tank! I would love to be able to set up something like that someday. The crazy thing is that some of those tanks require just as much upkeep as a reef tank would...

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your build when it comes time.

I'll have to check out D9's build.. I'm sure I've seen the thread somewhere, but I probably haven't seen it in a while. Another build I need to catch up on is BC's.

the 75 is 48x18x18 basically.

As for d9hp's build could have sworn I saw you post in it the other day. But for now its just talk about equipment & stuff. So way early in the planning stage if you want some fun. working with like a 5k budget. threads in the equipment forum.

Yeah I remember his thread now... the budget came to mind immediately...

That 75 is going to be awesome.

BTW, my first "new" additions to this tank!!!!! Got an awesome deal from a local guy on some corals. Pics tomorrow!

New Corals! For $25 I got:

this frag of blue zoas (sorry I don't know any of the super awesome ultra-grade names)

IMG_1705.jpg

like 3 pieces of the Idaho grape monti-cap (has blue polyps)

IMG_1693.jpg

So-called AOG's They're really huge

IMG_1691.jpg

This frag of blue xenia, and also a frag of pumping xenia

IMG_1698.jpg

A small rose millipora frag. No pic though 'cause I couldn't get a clear one (photo skills need work)

Finally, he gave me a handful of various macros also!

IMG_1687.jpg

I don't have much flow through the sump right now, but I'm sort of afraid that once I do the macro will go everywhere. So to prevent this, I'm considering building a custom holding trough for it that I can hang on the baffles coming off the skimmer chamber. It would be roughly 8" tall, 8" wide 3-4" deep and have holes drilled near the bottom. This would cause all the water to flow through it fairly quickly and I'll rig up an intense spotlight right above it to encourage growth! My only concern is whether this would be enough... See my diagram below. I could make this in like an hour and for $5...

post-39800-1300684574_thumb.jpg

*In a zombie voice*

"crave... prOjects... must... have... ughhhh"

Cal has an algae scrubber... I suppose a similar concept... I have also thought about doing this on the sump outlet, I thought I had mentioned that but I must have left it out.

We'll see how it goes... I'm mostly just thinking of a way to keep the macro "contained". I also want to be able to hit it pretty hard with flow and light.

Archived