Coral Vue Hydros

What should you look for when buying corals

scapone

I am asking because in the next week or two i want to purchase corals and ive been looking around at a couple different lfs and the prices vary greatly. Yesterday i saw scallops for 9.00$ each and i saw big frags of yellow polyps for 18.99 but some of the other corals and fish i saw did not look so hot imo. I know what to look for in fish but i am a bit usure what to look for when buying corals because i don't want to buy an un healthy specimen

I would agree with "tempest" and maybe add that if possible try to observe your "wanted" corals over the span of a couple of days. I have seen some corals the day after they have be shipped into the lfs and they look horrible, but a couple of days later they look great (I have seen the reverse of this where a coral degrades in appearence within a week of being shipped in) ...if you make it a point to come back to the lfs a couple of times during that week appearences may change drastically... for the good or the bad.

good advice sponger. I'd also like to add that if you see a coral that interests you, make sure you have researched the requirements for the coral. be sure your tank is capable of supporting the specific needs of the coral; lighting, flow.

Reefer_Buddha

good coloration. Corals will reflect their water quality in their colors as well as their appearance. Never buy browned out corals, and i never personally buy corals from a tank that has cyano or any nuisance algae in it.

We all know it is hard to come back sometimes over the course of a few days to see how a coral is doing because someone else may buy it. If it is one you may want, reserve it, most LFS's will do that for a day or two, come back then make your decision. also a side note, be sure to have extra SW on hand after your acclimation process...:P that is , if you acclimate properly

Same as fish, in terms of introduction.

Acclimation after you pop them iun the tank may include putting them lower in thetank and slowly moving it up higher to acclimate it over a week or so to a higher lighting intensity.

Acclimation often depends on the critter. Its best to read up on the proper acclimation procedure for that specific animal. There are a lot of corals that are pretty hardy and seem to do well with little acclimation, whereas some corals and critters like starfish need slloowww acclimation.

Don't do what I do and put them in your tank like you're shooting free-throws.:

Archived