SaltCritters.com

Suggestions?

shacleve

Hello,

I have been doing a ton of research & I was wondering whether anyone out there has had success using some of the equipment that I intend to use.

So far, I have an

All Glass Aquarium w/ Hood 20H (previously used for FW)

I plan to purchase

Bare Bones RO kit

RO flush kit

Skilter

Visitherm Heater

Azoo Battery Back Up Pump

Hydrometer

Test Kit

Tampa Bay Saltwater (the package)

I would like to upgrade my light, as the one I have now just came w/ the tank & I would like to have @ least 2 strips. I'm a little lost about moving the water. I would like to include a powerhead, but am unsure what size or quatity (multiples) would be effective for this small reef setup.

If you have had any experience with the above equipment or have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. I am very excited about getting started.

Thanks a heap in advance,

IMO you should dump the skilter. Get an aquaclear 200.

For a 20H I'd get 2 Azoo mini powerheads (but that's just my personal taste; there are other brands that are just as good). Amount of water movement depends on what you plan on putting in the tank. Some fish and corals like a lot and some don't.

Not sure what "The Package" is but you should have about 25 lbs of live sand and 30 lbs of live rock in the tank for filtration.

If you can spend an extra 50 bucks get a refractometer INSTEAD of the hydrometer. A refractometer is much more acurate and you dont have to do conversions to take temp into account when measuring SG.

And finally, lighting. NO lighting is ok for fish, but not sufficient for photosynthetic corals. If you want to get corals you'll need to get at least 60-100 watts of compact fluorescent lighting.

Don't forget the test kits - Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, magnesium and calcium.

I suggested the magnesium because of my tank experiences. I use Tropic Marin salt, do a weekly 1-2 gallon water change and every 4-6 weeks I find myself adding magnesium. Go figure. ;)

adding magnesium really? Sounds phishy, like there is something else going on. Ask Randy Holmes-Farley over at reef central in the chemistry forum, I'll bet he knows what is going on there. Maybe some sort of reaction with your sand type, or any additives maybe. ask him.

Archived