SaltCritters.com

surface scum

yeroc40

I have had this surface skum for some time now on my 10g. It’s almost oily in consitancy. If I stir it with my finger I can break it up but it doesn’t sink or disipate. I know surface agitation is supposed to help, but my empty HOB does not seem to be doing enough. Would carbon help take this off? I’m doing my first water change this weekend but don’t know how that will help with this as it floats on the surface

What you are seeing on the surface is the very material that a protein skimmer helps remove from the system. It is a combination of organic material in the form of proteins and lipids.

It is not likely that carbon will remove it - however there are other chemical adsorbants that claim to - I stress the word claim to.

The low tech trick is to lay a sheet of paper towel on the surface, while your filter is off. Use as many sheets as necessary to mop up the scum, then do your water change.

Look into obtaining a surface extractor for your HOB filter, or consider joining the protein skimmer club if buildup continues to be an issue.

I have found that if I throw frozen food in I get the scum. If I place it in a fine net and run it under water to thaw before feeding, the scum is reduced to the point that it isn't an issue.

-Dale

all you have to do to remove it is remove water from your tank by using a glass. lower the glass in the tank bottom first, and 'skim' the surface water out.

nalbar

Archived