Cultivated Reef

2g setup w/ 0.5 nitrites. Help!

Eddie

Hi,

I have a 2g setup with a wisper 2-5 filter and a heater . My lights are 13w 50/50. anyway this tank has been up for three weeks. and i just put a bi-color blennie in it two days ago. Now my nitrites are 0.5. How do i get it back to 0. Please Help!

Hehe... Take out the blennie.:P

I would just go with maybe a shrimp or something. Unless you get a big refugium. Fish are messy compared to inverts.

yes your prob is the fish....i wouldnt keep a fish in anythin lower than a 5.5,,,but as suggested a shrimp should be find....do u have any corals in the tank?....i dont even know if i would put a shrimp iin shuch a small body of water...just dosent seem right...i say stick with the corals and nothing else or get a bigger tank...a 5.5 with 2x13w would be nice....gl

NanoReefer53

whoa, a blenny in a 2g.

yea, go with something like a coralbanded shrimp or cleaner. If later on the tank is more stable, take out the shrimp and put in a small damsel if you want.

NaNO ReeFiN

With a 2 gallon tank, it's best to go fishless. You're only 3 weeks in... maybe you should think about upgrading that tank to something a little bigger if you really want to keep a fish.. But in this tank, best to go with snails and hermits only.

The reason you have the nitrite spike is becuase the tank is still fresh and the bacteria colonies arent at full capacity most likely, but more importantly, the tank is just way too small to support fishes.

Like the others said, the most I'd put in there is a shrimp. I may even drop that and stick to hermits and snails.

Archived