ReefCleaners.org

Cheatos or Caulpera ? Help !

Abhi

Hi all,

PLanning on adding some Macro algae in the back part of the tank( mid part of the filteration system). Its hard to get any marine items like inverts, corals etc here even LR is hard to get by. Getting some macro algae from another guy who has Chaeto and Caulpera both. Now my confusion is which one do I pick......

The tank 10 Gal display area and 5 gal filteration area. Live stock as of now planned is : Zoas, Turbinaria, Yuma, Pink Skunk clownfish. An maybe a small Flame angel which would later move to my new 65 gal tank that is in the process of being made. Running a skimmer weipro 2003 ( useless stuff) and no other media. Tank has about 10 lbs of LR.

PLease help me in listing the pros and cons of both the macros

The nutrient uptake is better with caulerpa but as AM said, it can take over your tank and be next to impossible to get rid of. I use both in my fuge but I have a sponge over my return pump to prevent the caulerpa from getting in my display.

The nutrient uptake is better with caulerpa but as AM said, it can take over your tank and be next to impossible to get rid of. I use both in my fuge but I have a sponge over my return pump to prevent the caulerpa from getting in my display.

play it safe and go with the chaeto

I had caulerpa in my DT once, and i had about 324w of T5HO lighting.. and let me tell you, this stuff spread like wildfire and it really isn't very pretty at all. Pretty ugly if you ask me. Chaeto is ugly too.. but it doesn't really attach to the sand and rocks and crevices like caulerpa does. And if the caulerpa spreads within a rock, which it will, even if you think you've eliminated it all, it will grow back. Caulerpa is good for a fuge.

• 1 month later...

caulerpa is illegal in many states because it has so much potential to be invasive

even if it isn't illegal where you live, that should be a good indication that it is a potential pest

chaeto is easy to control

caulerpa is illegal in many states because it has so much potential to be invasive

even if it isn't illegal where you live, that should be a good indication that it is a potential pest

+1 stuff is an evil abomination.

Archived