SaltCritters.com

10g nano

epon

Ok, I finally had some time to resize a pic and try to upload it. Here it is, my first attempt at a nano. The base and hood is built from leftover trim. I made the base a little taller so I could incorporate a HOT skimmer later on if I needed to.

Tank Specs:

Amish built cabinet base

AGA 10 gallon

DIY Oak/Poplar/Plywood/Pine tank base and hood

2 x 15 watt 18" NO flourescents (to be upgraded someday)

1 Coralife Actinic 03 bulb

1 Penn-Plax Aquari-lux bulb

1 household timer for lights

1 3" computer fan wired to a 12v converter

- mounted on rear of hood

1 nightlight with a blue bulb

1 photosensitive timer for night light

1 Aquarium Systems MN 404 pump (106 gph)

- suspended with acrylic rod and zip ties

1 Aquarium Systems MN 606 pump (159 gph)

- mounted to DIY spraybar

now what am I going to mix salt with ? : )

1 100 watt Hagen Compact pre-set heater

1 small floating thermometer

10 lbs Fiji Live rock

1 eggcrate shelf for live rock

10 lbs fine grain (sugar sized) "dead" sand

15 lbs arganite med grain

1 live sand innoculation from LFS live rock tank

1 live sand innoculatiuon from thriving dsb

RO / Instant Ocean

Sea Chem Marine pH buffer

Stress Zyme

Phew! (tired fingers)

Livestock:

1 Blue Devil Damsel "Diablo"

1 Brown mushroom (hitchhiker)

1 small unknown polyp (hitchhiker)

anyone care to help here? (low light corals or excess snails and hermits)

I plan to make a order soon for snails and hermits. I'm hoping to grow softcorals in here, but due to the fact that my 65g is having babies(new tanks keep springing up in the house :) ), I will probably make this a low light nano.

Thanks to all the nanoreefers here, I have the bravery (haha) to create one of there. Without this site or it's boards I would have never tried this. It's one of our favorite places in the house to camp out, and I absolutly love this tank. More later -

I tried to post another pic but after the third time of locking my machine up solid I decided to try again another day. I meant to add in my prior post that a Eheim Liberty 100 gph running carbon and foam has been added. I will probably remove the foam and just run carbon only if the water starts to color. This is one of the pieces of equipment I have bought from listening to the lfs guy. I hope it's not wasted money. Also the nano was born June 29th, 2002 after endless hours of reading, dreaming, running around after this that and the other, building, and, and, and, ....... (sigh) :)

MaDd HaTteR

nice lil setup.. I have a suggestion..from my own experience I had my nano up against the wall and I moved it to where I can see both sides and the front.. you will be surprised how much more you can see when you do that.. just my thought.. I like the trim you have on the bottom.. keep it up

Great looking setup epon :), very impressive woodwork going on there. Makes me wish I was a bit more handy. I really like your rockwork as well. Looks like you have a nice arch or two going on in there. Keep them pictures coming. I'd like to see some different angles of your rockwork. :D

Gil

ncie set up and the DIY hood and base..WOW! i can never do anythign like that..just look at my DIY refugium..hahha..it looks like crap! the tank looks kinda empty now..can't wait until you get more corals..where are you from..i might have some corals to trade you ..or just to donate to you...

i love to make friends with a good DIY person...*wink wink ;)

Thanks for the compliments ! Yes, I am a proud parent, I made the hood and tank base.. Anthony812, I'm from central Illinois and looking for livestock. I will certainly keep this thread updated as the nano changes and matures. Thanks again for the compliments, but the credit really goes to all of you. I would upload another pic or two, but everytime I try, my computer still locks up solid. :(

Archived