Coral Vue Hydros

New to Board (Chili Coral?)

Niger12

I am new to this board and have a quick question about a Chili Coral. I just bought it today and know it does not require much light. The rason I ask this question is my Maroon Clown hates this thing and keeps bumping it and pushing it out of all the caves and over hangs. He leaves him alone if it is in the open. Will intense light cause any problems. I can't find anywhere in my books if high light will effect it.

the light shouldn't be a direct problem. indirect issues such as algae overgrowth would be the bigger issues (micro/film algae).

however, imo more of an issue may be the UV light. i don't believe cryptic corals (e.g. dendro & sclero) have any uv-protection (no techno info to backup this claim, just the sputterings of a coral fixated HAG :P ) and intense lighting typically carries significant uv.

I kept looking last night I can't find any thing that says direct light is bad. He is setting in a high flow area so I hope that will help with algae. Also this is a 30g flat back hex that is only 16" tall and I have 220w of PC's over it. I call this intense light but I may be wrong.

yeah, i'd agree that's intense lighting. it's a difficult coral regardless of the lighting situation tho. nanoplankton or bacteria feeder. actually, there's a number of thoughts of what they prey upon.

Archived