Innovative Marine Aquariums

Magroves in still water

DönitzDK

Hey everyone

Since my bonzai died some weeks ago I have been thinking about what to put in my window. I have choosen to get a little reeftank for my window. I have already bought the aquarium (6L = 27*17*18 cm) It will be sun powered and there will be no pumps, skimmers, heaters and so on. Sadly my mom wants a "plant" in the window so I told her that i would get a mangrove plant for it which would make the idéa okay with her.

my question: is there anything that would make it impossible or hard to have a mangrove in the window. Is the still water a problem?

thinking about getting this mangrove: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-Mangrove-Seed-Pl...=item563a81776c

Thanks in advance

- Tobias Aakjær

Sorry for bad spelling and gramma

I think tanks located by natural sunlight tend to have bad algae outbreaks, thats just what ive heard. Also what do you plan to keep besides the mangrove with no filtration or a heater for temp stability?

or is this basically a vase?

im not sure about mangroves in still water, hopefully someone and chime in and help u there

good luck

I think tanks located by natural sunlight tend to have bad algae outbreaks, thats just what ive heard. Also what do you plan to keep besides the mangrove with no filtration or a heater for temp stability?

or is this basically a vase?

im not sure about mangroves in still water, hopefully someone and chime in and help u there

good luck

I only want to keep algea and zoanthids (:

It will be a permanent tank for different kind of algea.. and zome zoanthids just for fun

thank you (;

Thanks for the link mate :'D Hmm mangroves need water movement according to the link. But I could always get a mangrove and see if it survives? O:

Im confused. You say no pumps or anything? How will you keep the water from going stagnant and keep the O2 levels in the water up? I would say you have to at least put an air stone in there which should solve the issue for your mangrove as well. I would suggest using a larger bubble size stone though since you will have some terrible salt creep.

I think its going to boil down to finding at least a tiny little pump to provide water movement. I am unaware of any completely still water reefs. They have to have some kind of flow.

I agree you need some type of movement n there.. otherwise you would be better off making a mosquito farm. (they will grow algae as well..LOL )

Im confused. You say no pumps or anything? How will you keep the water from going stagnant and keep the O2 levels in the water up? I would say you have to at least put an air stone in there which should solve the issue for your mangrove as well. I would suggest using a larger bubble size stone though since you will have some terrible salt creep.

I think its going to boil down to finding at least a tiny little pump to provide water movement. I am unaware of any completely still water reefs. They have to have some kind of flow.

I agree you need some type of movement n there.. otherwise you would be better off making a mosquito farm. (they will grow algae as well..LOL )

At first i thought the same as you, but I have seen others do it and they were fine with no pumps. macro algea makes the oxygen and pods, worms and other tiny creatures will move water towards the bacteria in the stone when they move.

Maybe i should put tons of pumping Xenia in there for watermovement. :P

A 2L no tech aquarium that inspired me:

DSCN0055.jpg

That aquarium looks brand new and I doubt it will look like that in the future....

I would say just get a tiny pump. Something like a 60-80 gph fountain pump or something and turn it on. You'd get some circulation, a tiny bit of heat, etc. The tank in a window is going to be VERY prone to temperature fluctuations, so most livestock wouldn't work - however you could even try a couple of pieces of live rock rubble, as some of the hardier organisms on there could potentially tolerate it. That would get you the water movement for your mangrove and a little bit of an ecosystem going, despite the temp fluctuations in the tank. Even something like an aqualifter mounted externally would be enough, just something to get a little bit of flow going and keep it from stagnating completely and forming a skin that keeps gas exchange from happening and looks nasty.

P.S. your English is pretty good, I wouldn't have known if you hadn't mentioned it.

That aquarium looks brand new and I doubt it will look like that in the future....

I would say just get a tiny pump. Something like a 60-80 gph fountain pump or something and turn it on. You'd get some circulation, a tiny bit of heat, etc. The tank in a window is going to be VERY prone to temperature fluctuations, so most livestock wouldn't work - however you could even try a couple of pieces of live rock rubble, as some of the hardier organisms on there could potentially tolerate it. That would get you the water movement for your mangrove and a little bit of an ecosystem going, despite the temp fluctuations in the tank. Even something like an aqualifter mounted externally would be enough, just something to get a little bit of flow going and keep it from stagnating completely and forming a skin that keeps gas exchange from happening and looks nasty.

P.S. your English is pretty good, I wouldn't have known if you hadn't mentioned it.

You are right. The pics are taken some hours after it have been started. On a danish forum there is one with a 3 L no tech setup but i havent seen any pics of it yet. Though if the mangrove wants watermovement i will give it watermovement (; Thinking about getting a mini Tunze (300 L/hour)

Thanks mate, I also got the best grade in english at the exams.. :P

If setting it up with out flow. What would you be look to as success. Tide pool biotope. Or closed to an actual reef.

I kept several Mangroves in an actual flower vase in front of my very sunny kitchen window for a few months with no problem.

The Mangroves were the only thing in there so I can't attest to how other life forms would do, but the Mangroves had no problem at all.

Hey guys.

Sorry for the late reply.

I will get 1 kg of rock the 6th of septemper and then get a mangrove when I find one.

Hmm.. Which should i choose? Air pump + airstone VS Tunze universal pump (300lph)

Archived