Coral Vue Hydros

Hello I'm new here: 7 gal AGAs + SPS +PCs

Adam Jones

Hello, this is my first post here, although I have been posting at Reef Central for about 3 years.

If you have a >10 gallon nano AND SPS AND PC lighting, could you please comment on your experiences: types of inhabitants, length kept, coloration, overall health, feeding schedule, etc. Links to photos or your home page would be appreciated.

I am considering setting up a 7 gallon AGA bow with 3x28 watt power compacts (have lots of DIY 28 watt ballasts - not sure if 4x28 watt would fit). I've priced out 70 and 150 watt HQI pendants, and they aren't in my budget...maybe in a year. I want to keep SPS and a pair of harlequin shrimps in the tank. If 3x28 PCs aren't enough for a healthy, long-term SPS tank, I will go with 2x28 PCs and polyps with the harlequins.

The 7 gallon bow will have bulkhead(s) that drain the tank to a 10-20 gallon sump shared by a 29 gallon tank. I will use an Aqua C Remora Pro and macroalgaes in the 29 for nutrient export. The 29 will have a deep sand bed and lots of live rock, and will primarily hose Euphyllia family corals. I'll keep linkia starfish in the 29 to feed the harlequins.

I'm especially concerned about the physics of maintaining a high-flowrate in a 7 gallon tank. I'm assuming it needs to be a bare bottom tank. I'm still figuring out water flow, but at the moment I am planning on using a Quiet One pump (745 GPH) either split to the 7 and the 29, or going straight to the 29 with some flow draining from the 29 to the 7 down to the sump.

The 29 will be lit by a 400 watt pendant which I already have. My goal is to trade/buy small SPS frags, let them grow out in the 7 gallon, then move them to the 29 gallon as they get too large.

I've looked through the archives and members' tanks, and downloaded many nice photos of your tanks. I didn't always save the username/tank info/lighting info with the photos, and now I wish I had.

Thanks,

Adam

I cant really reply to the flowrate, although instead of both tanks running off the same pump, you could opt for seperate pumps. This works out more efficient, and, in case of a malfunction in one pump, you wont have too much to mop upafter the sump overfills.... :)

You mentioned that a 70 watt MH was out of your budget? I can understand this as MH cost a fair penny to buy, but they are well worth it, especially for your plan. MH will ensure the growth rates that you wish to keep sps at a more commercial level, that is; quick, efficient and hassle free. The ideal behind MH purchase is simple...... Three pc's plus equipment for running them would cost little to start off with compared to an MH. BUT pc running costs over time will turn out to be more expensive then a Metal Halide fitting and globes bought over time.

Your grow out tank idea sounds great, but first you must ACTUALLY grow the sps to be moved to the 29 gallon. Under less intense lighting, sps can survive, but they will lack color, and will have remarkably slow growth rates compared to a reef running under VHO's of MH's.

You mention using a Aqua C Remore Pro? I take this as a mechanical filter? Ditch it. SPS need near PERFECT water quality, and the truth is, that mechanical filters and companies that claim they leave your water perfectly clear are pumping consumers full of bs. Mechanical filters are a nitrate factory! The best method IMO is the Natural method, plenty of live rock and live sand! Since you are using a 29 gallon reef, I would maintain a deep sand bed, bgasically the 29 gallon could act as more of a refugium than a show tank, but by no means does this mean it has to be a mess to look at! In the sump I would also add an extremely efficient protein skimmer. I dont usually reccomend them, but since SPS are usually feed off lights rather than filter feed, the protein skimmer may be the way to go to eliminate some properties of aquarium water that could be detrimental to their health.

I hope this information helps, I would like feedback, just in case anything I have stated above is in any way misleading.

Best of luck Adam! Keep us posted on the final set-up.

Lunchbucket

i am at work so can't post long.

i will try tonight...someone post so i get an email notice and come back to post

Lunchbucket

the setup you're describing is very impressive! :love:

i don't think 3x32w pc's will fit the 7g. two will but the third will just hang off a bit. you are going for sps so that may be fine anyways. i would go with the icecap vho's though. champion lighting carries the 18" vho's on a 3~4 tube setup for 120w~160w. that should be perfect for the sps. mh's of course are better but the reality of money sometimes has to rear it's ugly head.

that's a good call on the flowrate for the tank. normally i go with the dsb and a simple 10x~15x volume turnover but we're talking sps here. you may want to 'cheat'. go with the above but use a wave maker & powerhead at the upper end of the tank. this will give you the necessary wave crashing simulation of the sps's environment and decent movement.

i'm not sure how the dynamics of the currents will act on your sand (if you even opt for it). the aquascape and powerhead will determine most of that. definitely post pics of the whole setup when you're finished. i especially like the shared sump idea.

Lunchbucket

sounds like an interesting set up but i would not keep SPS under PC's. i have w/ 2x36w and they just don't do what they should. they encrust and grow a little but they don't color up and grow like they should. i personally would just add the frags to your main tank and forget about adding them in the 7gal. you could still use the 7gal to have the harlequins and you wouldn't have to worry about flow, etc if you do it that way. i would just save the hassel or lower flow (not optimal), PC lighting (not optimal) and put them bad boys under the 400w and call it good. if you go from PC's to 400w you will have ot very very very very very slowly aclimate them which could result in losses etc...just too many "if's". i would just use the main tank

Lunchbucket

:P :P :P WELCOME TO NANO-REEF :P :P :P

i cant comment on your question right now, but i am planning to keep SPS in my 7 gallon... and i also planned to put 2 36watt PC's or one 70 watt Ushio HQI :) .. but its still a plan...so i dont know when that will ever happen...

good luck, and let us know how your's come out :)

Everyone -

Your responses were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I'm going to ditch the SPS in the 7 gal bow unless I get a 150 watt PFO pendant.

My modified setup is going to be a 7 gal bow with a Harlequin shrimp pair and polyps. The 29 will be for a carpet anemone and Percula clownfish pair. I may still try SPS in the 29 gallon in a few months since I already have a 400 watt pendant and a decent skimmer for that sized tank. In 6-12 months maybe I'll spring for the mini-pendant and use frags from the 29 to add to the 7 bow.

I need to research what soft corals/polyps are safe for cohabitation with SPS. Any suggestions?

I still want to drill the 7 gal to share a common sump. Water topoff is just too tedious, and I'm afraid I'd neglect the 7 gal for a day or two and create problems. I already have a float valve in a 10 gallon sump, but my hang-on skimmer is too big for the 10. So I either need a bigger sump or will have to hang the skimmer on the 29.

I've had bad experiences with 1/2 inch bulkheads in the past, so I am thinking two 3/4 inch bulkheads in the 7 gal and two 3/4 bulkheads for the 29 gal. Heck I might even get extra bulkheads on the 29 for a mini-closed loop. I want to try to keep powerheads out of both tanks.

These tanks are both going to be in my bedroom, so if anyone has noise-reduction tips I'd apprectiate it. The Remora Pro skimmer is a noisy bugger, so it's going to be on while I'm not sleeping.

Adam

Lunchbucket

sounds like a better plan! having the 7 tied in is a great one too. more stability and autotop off.

please keep us posted on your progress and i hope we/I could be of service

Lunchbucket

Archived