Top Shelf Aquatics

How much is too much?

theclearblue

I didn't get any answers to my last post so I figure I'll ask a more direct question.

My 20 long has a 20 watt lighting system built in, but this is obviously not going to be enough.

I've narrowed it down to two (rather I've only found two - both by the same manufacturer). I'm looking at the Coralife Aqualight Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights 24". They come in 65 watt, or 2x65 watt.

I don't want to close myself out of buying interesting things for my tank in the future, but I also don't want to blow the bank. Is either one of these adequate if I still would like to be able to keep corals? If not, could you suggest something?

Thanks

Definitely go with 2 * 65 for the 20 gallon. That is what I have as well. However, keep in mind that pc's are generally considered to inadequate for most stony corals. 65 watts over a 20 is probably not enough to keep the higher light requiring corals.

Go with the 2x65. Some stony corals will do okay if placed high in the tank. They just won't grow real fast. However, some species will simply not flourish under that lighting. Depends on the coral.

No. It is not a matter of having enough pc's. It is generally understood that stony corals really require you to have Metal Halide lighting. These have far more intensity. If you really want to do stony corals then I would suggest you find the thread on DIY MH and see if that helps. MH are expensive but that thread tells you how to do it for fairly cheap.

Have you considered T5 lighting. High lumen output with very little heat generated and they are supposed to have a life expectancy of up to 3 years. I am using them on my 35Gallon Hex and they look very good. Having said that I'm not trying to keep Clams or SPS corals but with only 48 Watts of T5 and 40 Watts of VHO fluorescents I have Softies and LPS corals and they are looking very healthy.

Archived