inTank Media Baskets

Will this stand stress my tank

FamousGuy

Alright I got a stand for my tank and the damn thing is too short by like 1/8 of an inch (so the tank would overhang by 1/16 of an inch on each side) should i risk it and fill 'er up? Modify the stand somehow? Or scrap the stand

This really depends on the stand and how large this tank is. I personally wouldn't worry about if it's a small tank with a pretty sturdy stand. I would probably try to center the tank.

NaNO ReeFiN

I was in the same situation you're in... I decided to just go for a more sturdy base where the whole tank was sitting firmly on something instead of wondering if any would ever happen to my tank. ???

either put a spacer to distribute the weight or get another stand. better safe than extremely sorry later. :*(

dude dont worry about it. i had a 50 gallon that overhung each side by 2 inches. as long as the weight is distributed it doesnt matter. dont worry about it.

take away the decimal, its about 25 gallons. I think it'll be ok because the overhang is so slight. I have a nightstand thing i could put it on, but i have a tv on it now and its bowing slightly from the weight, imagine what a 250 pound aquarium will do to it

It will be fine.

I had my 24G tank over hang on the edges by several inches at one point.

It held for several months that I had it like that. On a small tank its really not a problem.

NaNO ReeFiN

Considering the critical role your stand plays, you really should select something that is solid and stable. Like others have said, it probably will work out fine, but I personally would rather have the confidence and assurance knowing that my tank is on a nice solid base rather then wondering if this... and if that...

Originally posted by NaNO ReeFiN

Considering the critical role your stand plays, you really should select something that is solid and stable. Like others have said, it probably will work out fine, but I personally would rather have the confidence and assurance knowing that my tank is on a nice solid base rather then wondering if this... and if that...

way to go now you have made him all paranoid!

i just have my 2.5 gal brackish tank on a desk and wen i setup my 2.5 nano ill probly put it next to the brackish on the desk and theyll both hang over by probly a quarter inch or so ,Chris:P

Cut a sheet of plywood 1/4" longer then the stand. Screw it to the stand and add a strip of molding or somthing and stain it to match the original stand. The plywood will distrubute the weight more evenly. Total cost about 15 bucks, and then you dont have to worry about your tank breaking. I would do the above if its a glass tank, if its acrylic i probably wouldnt do anything. Acrylic tanks support the weight on the entire bottom plane. Glass tanks only support weight around the perimeter of the bottom plane.

Absolutely Fant is correct here you must support the whole tank!

Do the plywood for sure or get a proper stand , Its just not worth it. Ever seen a tank fail? It's a messy deal and they can be quite explosive. My Buddy that I service tanks with blew out a 120 AG and a piece of glass is still sticking out of the wall, he kinda keeps it there as a trophy, luckily his failed in the back not the front so no injuries. Yes, it's a much bigger tank but after seeing a 10" piece of glass 8" inbedded into a wall I'm much more respectfull of the force held within the glass.

HTH,

Toy

thanks for all the replies

It's an acrylic seaclear tank, it measured out to be an 1/8 inch difference but today i actually put the tank on the stand to see how it looked(the stands been in my garage forever, i finally got it down today) anyways when the tanks on the stand its a PERFECT fit, the overhang is barely noticeable, if at all. I wonder if it'll expand and hang over more when i fill it tomorrow? If not then i'm just gonna leave it on this stand

Archived