Innovative Marine Aquariums

How often h2o change in a no fish system

stmhon

Hi folks, so I know that most people recommend weekly partial water changes, but I would also gather that most people have fish in the systems.

I'm have a 17 g, with softies, sps, lps, a cuc of snails and 1 hermit, and NO FISH. I check my water parameters weekly and nothing ever is off. I have a ac70 with macro on it, nitrates are never more than 0, CA levels are always fine and often on the high side, but everything else is in check. I've been doing weekly 4 g water changes but am wondering if it's overkill since the parameters never seem off, before or after the change. Thoughts? Thanks!

10% weekly should be more than enough. You probably have less than 15 actual gallons so a 1.5 gallon water change.

You have to remeber that one of the benefits of the weekly water change is to replace trace elements that are pulled form the water column by the corals. I know you can't possibly be testing for all of them and a simple weekly water change would help keep your paramiters in check for your coral.

I'd stick with it. I'd be more likely to to spread out water changes in a fish only system before I did it in a coral only system.

Archived