Top Shelf Aquatics

Lights for a 30 Cube

Whitten

Well I have been contemplating all of my options on my new oceanic cube, and have come to a decision on it. I really want to do a Metal Halide system, but heat issues and money restraints are going to prevent me from accomplishing this for now. I had been looking into just getting one of Coral Life's little lighting setups that will fit my tank. The one that I have been looking at is the 20.5 inch hood with the 96 watt power quad. I had seen it on a cube just like mine at a store and the tank looked very healthy.

My question is will I have enough light in that tank to support Leathers, Star polyps, gorgonians...etc until I can build my MH setup? or am I just better off not seting up the tank unitil I can afford a good MH hood?

You feed them when their polyps are open correct? So I should be ok enough to support just about any soft coral. I really want to do MH, but I just don't have the funds or the ability to put up with the added heat that it will put into my little room. We'll see if I can run across some good setups. Here is another question would 250 watts be way to much? or is just right?

Yes, feed it when the polyps are out. I'm pretty sure there are a few posts about them over on reefcentral, head over there and do a search on them.

With the lighting, it all depends on what you want to keep... if you want to get into SPS and clams, then the 250 would be perfect. If you want to stay with softies, then 175 would be plenty.

OK well I think what I am gonna do is look into complete hoods. I think eventually I am going to want to keep some really light demanding things but until then, I will have to see what my wallet will allow.

One more question, will acropora do ok in a tank with a 150 HQI MH if placed as close to the top as possible?

whitten , there a few different types of gorgonians out there. The yellow, or red " sea rod " are non photosynthetic, and will require many feeding a week. stick some other photosynthetic ones. head over to www.garf.org for more info.

The 150 in that small of a tank will grow acros, and most other SPS. Make sure you acclimate them properly. But i think the 175 is close in price.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived