Top Shelf Aquatics

MelaFix

baldwinb

My LFS suggested I buy MelaFix for my Ich problem.  It is a Tea Tree extract and does not harm invertebrates.  When I got home I noticed it said it cured all sorts of things but nothing about Ich.  Does anyone have experience with melafix and its effect on Ich?

Mella fix is from the melucah tree. It is  made by Aquarium Pharmacuticals amd is an excelent product for secondary infections, finrot, bacterial and fungus applications.....

It WONT help with ick though.

If the ick isnt in your display tank, then you can quarintine the fish and use Hypo salinity to kill off the paracites. Also Copper can be used but it is realy not the best as it is hard to dose properly. IF the ich is in your reef, then Try to add a cleaner shrimp and some REEF DNA or CORALVITAL from MARC WEIS Products...

Its bassicaly Apple Juice and some enzymes, but it has a nice side effect that makes it hard for the Ich Irritans Paracite to adhere to the fish. IT MAY BE VELVET you have to be carefull and know which paracite you have. We need more info to help U.

Keep the mella fix .. it comes in handy.  :fett:

The Ich is in my tank..although no corals yet I do have a significant number of invertebrates...such as crabs, shrimp and feather dusters.  I have quarintined the fish and cured them but as soon as I put them back into the tank they become infested again.  They basicly become completly covered in white spots and their colors fade.  I want to be able to treat the actual tank.

Oh yeah...I have two peppermint shrimp  which seem very active and healthy and are always eating.  Do they eat parasites like Ich?

No, peppermint's done eat parasites off fish. They eat the dreaded Aiptasia though.

Only the skunk cleaner shrimps will get rid of parasites. But the fish has to be large enough for the cleaner to jump on the fish and clean it which can be hard with the size of the fishes in our nano.

HEERO not true they will clean fish who "show side " to the shrimp.  RID ICH is a reef safe treatment. Id attempt to use it. I have had great sucess with it before;

:chainsaw: CUTS THROUGH IT LIKE BUTTAH !

Fortunatly, i've got no experience with Ich, sorry there.

But in regards to MelaFix, its a great product, and does exactly what it says it does.  Only thing i've noticed about it that is bad, is that i find annomies (sp?) don't like it very much - each time i treated the tank, they would shrivel up, but would recover later on... other than that, its a great product.

Archived