Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Where to place encrusting gorgonian

TimR

I just go an encrusting gorgonian frag and need to know the best place to put it. Here is the tank spec's:

29 AGA

3 inch sand bed

40 lbs live rock

2x55 PC with 50/50 bulbs

SeaClone modified skimmer

The frag was in a display tank on the sandy bottom under MH lighting. Should I put the frag on the bottom, in the middle of the tank, or at the top of the rock??? What about water flow around the frag?

Thanks

I don't think they need light, but double check elsewhere to be sure. I know that they do need moderate current. You should probably feed the tank with phytoplankton if you don't already.

from Eric Borneman's coral book:

"they adapt well to most lighting and water flow conditions although strong currents may induce the formation of sweeper tentacles."

"they grow quite fast and are one of the most dominant, if not the most dominant encrusting organisms on the reef."

"their mats are extrememly tenacious and removal is difficult if they begin to threaten neighboring colonies. Careful placement is advised in the aquarium, as they can and will kill other corals."

yikes. I'd keep it in the sand so it doesn't attach itself to the rock.

At a quick glance you might mistake it for star polyps. I have a friend who has some green encrusting gorgonian, and he keeps it pretty low in the tank with moderate current. It is spreading pretty fast in his tank too.

Archived