Top Shelf Aquatics

Digital Aquatics RKL

bhskicker18

bhskicker18

I was on marinedepot.com and they have the Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper lite (level 1-3) and I was wondering if anybody could better explain the features of Level-1. As well as some of the accessoires of it. I would like to use the moon lights, and the timers for powerheads and the temperature feature (if temp gets too high the fans adjust speed, and if it gets too hot the lights turn off). But if somebody could better explain the features to me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Will

ranger_reefer

Do you want network connectivity?

Essentially the "levels" are just bundled addons that you can add on your own at any time but the cost will be higher

bhskicker18

I would want to moniter the temp and ph, as well as hook my heater, fans, and lights to it and use it to controle the temps (when the water gets too hot then the fans would speed up, then lights would cut-off, ect.) Just for peace of mind. The NET thing would be handy, but isn't something I have to have.

bhskicker18
How many outlets will you need?

1 for the heater, 2 for the lights (stock biocube 29 hood so I guess the fan speed wouldn't change).

I'm going to be saving up my money so I can buy the 5.6 LED upgrade and I have no idea how many power cords it uses.

If somebody thinks that its just going to be a waist, please say so. The only thing it would be doing is controlling when my lights come on (I have a timer that can do that), and moniter my heater and make sure it doesn't malfunction. I want a wavemaker (JBJ Ocean Pulse - QUADRA Wavemaker) so I can control the powerheads on both of my tanks, but if I buy a PC4 for the RKL thats another $90. I just don't know what to do, can somebody help

I would want to moniter the temp and ph, as well as hook my heater, fans, and lights to it and use it to controle the temps (when the water gets too hot then the fans would speed up, then lights would cut-off, ect.) Just for peace of mind. The NET thing would be handy, but isn't something I have to have.

Level 1 the basic unit comes with the head unit, a 4 outlet module and a temp probe. It is enough to get you started and from that you can learn how to set alarms and program the outlets. You could easily control a fan(s), lights and heater(s) --- 4 outlets worth. If you get creative you can double up on some of your outlets so you get more then 4 items off the controller (this depends on your tank/filter setup)

The head unit and each module is daisy chained together with a bus cable. The RKL allows for one head unit and a maximum of 4 modules. You can add modules at any time up to the max 4 and mix and match whatever modules you want. Some of the available modules are:

PC4 -- 4 outlets

SL1 -- PH or ORP plus switch controls (for ATO)

ML -- moonlight module

NET -- network module

Each separate outlet can be set to turn off or on etc... based on different thresholds from the temp probe, ph probe or ATO switch etc....

The higher levels of the RKL is just a head unit with a different set of modules bundled together.

If somebody thinks that its just going to be a waist, please say so.

Defiantly not a waste of money. It is the cheapest dual stage controller on the market and if you used for just heater and cooling fan you'll get your moneys worth. I got the basic Level 1 RKL for my pico and it has kept my temp rock stable by controlling the heater and fan in unison.

$99 is cheap insurance for piece of mind (for my setup anyway)

Does it come with the SL2 or SL1? Some day you may want to add the salinity probe, which requires the SL2, assuming they ever get that stupid probe redisgned.

I bought the RKL 1 and it only came with 1 PC4. I bought another pc4 almost immediately and was pretty much at the same cost as the kit elite kit that comes with the SL-1 and PH probe...... I kind of want another PC4 too. It is so easy to just hit standby and have everything go dorminant than finding the stupid controller, or plug in, and rememberign to plug it in everyday.

If you get can by with 4 outlets -- heater, fans, lights, and main pump then you will also love the standby mode for feeding and WC's

bhskicker18
If you get can by with 4 outlets -- heater, fans, lights, and main pump then you will also love the standby mode for feeding and WC's

It will be used for a BioCube 29. All equipment that uses electricity will be the two lights (10,000k and actinic [when the actinics are on, the fans are on]), heater, powerheads (1 Hydor Koralia Nano [425gph] and 1 Hydor Koralia Nano [240gph]), protein skimmer, and 1 maxi-jet 1200 that will be used as the main pump.

If I buy the wavemaker that has four outlets, it would control my powerheads on BioCube 29 and 1 powerhead on the 10 Gallon Reef.

is there a way to have the PPT work with the ATO? So if the PPT prob detects the salinity is a little high will it trigger the ATO feature?

is there a way to have the PPT work with the ATO? So if the PPT prob detects the salinity is a little high will it trigger the ATO feature?

not sure what 'PPT" is, but it sounds like you mean salinity probe. you could set it up that way but its a pretty bad idea. A float switch in the return pump chamber is a much better idea. the salinity probes on those devices are not very accurate or reliable-if it went bad you could have a return pump running dry, or worse, a tank at 1.015 and water all over the floor. A float switch, however, is very reliable.

IMO salinity probes are never a good idea to control anything by. only to monitor.

edited:

Ok so this is pretty much a salinity, pH, temp monitor, and a timer for the lights. What else will I use it for? Other than my return pump, im only running a vortech.

the NET thing is for viewing everything at once in real-time on your PC?

Ok so this is pretty much a salinity, pH, temp monitor, and a timer for the lights.

no not just a monitor but also a controller. Temp for controlling a heater and cooling device in unison. pH controller could be using in a calcium reactor. Timer for lights yes. Pump control for having a standby mode for doing WC's and feeding although a mp10 already has that feature. ATO contol with float valve and pump. Could also use the standby mode to turn off your ATO pump so when you do a WC your ATO doesn't try and flood your tank with FW. Moon lights yes. Could have a overflow detector and turn off your ATO in case of a flood. Also could have a PPT probe turn off your ATO system in case something happens to the float switch and your tank tries to turn into a FW coral tank :o

There are so many variations you could use a controller like this for.

bhskicker18
It will be used for a BioCube 29. All equipment that uses electricity will be the two lights (10,000k and actinic [when the actinics are on, the fans are on]), heater, powerheads (1 Hydor Koralia Nano [425gph] and 1 Hydor Koralia Nano [240gph]), protein skimmer, and 1 maxi-jet 1200 that will be used as the main pump.

If I buy the wavemaker that has four outlets, it would control my powerheads on BioCube 29 and 1 powerhead on the 10 Gallon Reef.

Bump.........

Any input on this?

You post is a little confusing about how many outlets you really need.

a PC4 is 4 outlets.

the RKL level 1 has 4 outlets. If you need more outlets from the beginning you might consider a higher level. If money is a little tight at the moment start with the level 1 and you can always add more later as money permits.

bhskicker18
You post is a little confusing about how many outlets you really need.

a PC4 is 4 outlets.

the RKL level 1 has 4 outlets. If you need more outlets from the beginning you might consider a higher level. If money is a little tight at the moment start with the level 1 and you can always add more later as money permits.

yeah, it sorta was confusing. But can you add more than the one PC4 to the RKL? example would be: can you have two PC4's or three, or four? So basically more than one PC4 lol.

you can add any module or combination of modules up to the maximum of 4 modules.

So Yes you could have 4 PC4's (16 outlets) if thats what you wanted or

2 PC4's 1 net and 1 moonlight or maybe

2 PC4's, a SL1, and a net

etc etc etc ...............

See my thread linked in my signature. I have the RKL Plus (level 3) and have described a lot of my setup and programming (and issues encountered) through out my thread. I have it controlling: 3 lights, main return pumps, skimmer pump, chiller pump, chiller, and heater, and it monitors my temp and pH(haven't picked up the ORP probe yet, not sure if I will). It works great. Definitely gives piece of mind that I only have to push a few buttons to feed or check statuses, otherwise it runs itself.

Definitely gives piece of mind that I only have to push a few buttons to feed or check statuses, otherwise it runs itself.

+1,000 especially on the "it runs itself"

Best reefing investment I have made in a long time ;)

i ordered RKL PLUS and call it day... i rather save some $$ than later on if i need to add to it (RKL basic)

JAKE

Archived