Coral Vue Hydros

5.5 gallon near end of cycling? clean up crew opinions?

mapv281

ok, I've been cycling my tank for 6 days now, I have 7.75 lbs of LR, 10lbs of LS, very good rock I'd say (Fiji), it was in a running tank at my lfs, when I bought it and took it home, it was packed with a little water, so between the time that I bought it and got it home and set up in my tank with mixed salt water (running 3 days before), the LR had been out of the water 15mins max, I got it in with the salinity at 1.023, temp 81, ph 8.1-8.3 range, then 2 days later I tested it again, ph 8.1-8.3, salinity 1.023, ammonia .25 ppm, didn't bother to do nitrite and nitrate because I knew they wouldn't be at 0 since I just started cycling, oh yeah I've been topping it off with distilled water daily, I ran my filter a couple of times to get some of the gunk out, I've taken it off and the water looks to be clean and clear, got little white pods running around, anyways I'm at my 6th day, I tested the water, my readings are temp 80 constant, ph 8.2/8.3, salinity 1.023, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, I'm very pleased with the results, it shows a good sign of how my cycling process is doing,pretty good for the 6th day i'd say, of course I plan on waiting a while longer to play it safe and not rush everything, get consistant readings (I'll be doing tests every 2 days, and possibly a water change at the end of the week), then keep testing for maybe another week, if the readings are consistant and correct, I will start adding a clean up crew, what do you guys think? I also want to start thinking about the best clean up crew team for my nano, I want to see what some of you guys have (5.5 nanos), give me your opinions on the best clean up crew I should get for my tank and where at online? my lfs is a great place but i didn't see much of a variety of clean up species around, only a couple of snails (astreas)

Archived