inTank Media Baskets

ID on snail?

JohnnyMTB

This came as a hitchiker on my FL. Keys liverock and has been in the tank forever, finally got a good pic of him out in the open. Seems to mainly come out before the lights go out. Any ideas? He's a little bigger than a 1/4 inch.

Whelk. Dog Whelk probably. Whelks are notorius for being mollusk eaters (meaning they eat other snails and clams).

I'd suggest either isolating and containing untill you can get a really CRISP clear image, or elimination erring on the side of caution.

Thanks Caja and BlackSumbel, I'm looking into the whelk thing now. My rock has a ton of bivalves and little clams on it, he doesn't seem to be going after them, if he is he hasn't managed any damage in the 8 months he's been in there. Might pull him out tonight to try to get a profile shot.

Thanks,

John

This one isn't as clear, but it does show the shape of the shell better. I sent the first pic to a professor at UGA, he doesn't think it's a whelk, suggested Peristernia philberti? Can't find any good pics of that species on the web.

OK, he's been ID'd as a Pisania pusio of the Buccinidae family, common name miniature trumpet triton, common in the FL. Keys. Still trying to find some dietary info on him. Thanks for everyone's help.

Johnny,

This is a whelk. All whelks are predatory and most (98%) are not reef safe. The only whelks that will do ok in our tanks are the nassarius species. Whelks prey on all sorts of things. It just depends on what the particular species is designed to eat. Try to send the shots you've already taken plus a shot of the carapace (bottom) of the snail to Dr. Ron Shimek over at ReefCentral.com . I'm not saying that the species idea is wrong, although I do question it, but I am saying that this is a species of whelk/triton as they are the same thing.

HTH,

Matt

I have had one like that in my tank for two + years and it has never damaged anything that I know of. When I first found it, I searched and searched to no avail of identifying. I am now going to look up what you specified and see if I can get further info on it. I also have FL rock. I hardly ever see my guy anymore, but he does love to stir my sand. The next time I see him, I will pull him out and get some different photos to add to this collection.

Thanks again

Angel

This is the best one I could get, of the coloration on his foot, of this little fast moving sucker. I hope I downsized the photo enough. I have a few different angles that I took, but didn't know if they would help. From what I have read, they seem to look like Cantharus tinctus.

Angel

Angel, from your photo it looks like we have different species, the "snout" thing looks different.

Matt- Yeah, Pisania pusio is a species of whelk. He's been in the tank for 8 months now, I still have a ton of bivalves on my LR, along with all my snails and hermits. I'm going to let him stay a while longer unless I see him actually commit a crime. So far he mainly comes out in the evening and when I feed, along with all my nessies. Thanks for all the info.

Bodhi-Licious

Whatever it is, I would say it's BAD. I had one that came home from the LFS on some rock and I thought it was cool. Then one day I came home with 5 nasarius snails for my tank and the big guy ate three of them almost immediatley. I had also noticed that all of my ceriths were missing. Anyways he was evicted that night RIP

Archived