Top Shelf Aquatics

dosing vodka

floridian reefer

floridian reefer

just wondering if someone could point in right direction for good info on dosing vodka, like how

much, how often... thanks

scubasteve2580
just wondering if someone could point in right direction for good info on dosing vodka, like how

much, how often... thanks

hey i thought about dosing vodka but was worried about the bacterial build up. a friend turned me on to "papone method" which alot of italians are using in their tanks. it has sugar in it which is the same as vodka dosing only not nearly as harsh. i would suggest some research on that. im satisfied completely with the results in my 20 gallon sps tank. also you could hollar at franklypre. he knows all about it. good luck

I have been at a stable dose for 2+ years now and I have almost no CUC and tank is clean only scrape once a month if that, also it is a fully stocked 60 gal mxxed reef and I dose 6ml a day but it took 8 months to get there and any more makes bad things happen so start small and go slow.........

Plain white sugar, check out my thread if you like, as they say the proof is in the pudding. It is much easier to use without the worries of ethenol bleaching. Don't know that I know ALL about it, thanks stevo, but I have had great results.

floridian reefer

whats the thoughts about dosing both sugar and vodka? do they feed two different bacteria? just curious, i started dosing vokda 3 days ago. been doing .5ml this first week .

excellent thank you!!!! this made me start

I've always dosed @ 0.1ml to 20us gal of water. Follow that regimne for a week, you should start to notice a black production in the skimmer that smells. After one week double the dose and continue to check your levels, after your levels have gotten to where you want them, cut back the dose to once per week @ 0.3ml as a maintenance dose.

floridian reefer
I've always dosed @ 0.1ml to 20us gal of water. Follow that regimne for a week, you should start to notice a black production in the skimmer that smells. After one week double the dose and continue to check your levels, after your levels have gotten to where you want them, cut back the dose to once per week @ 0.3ml as a maintenance dose.

okay thanks

westcoastreefer84
okay thanks

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

That is a very descriptive referance guide to vodka dosing. If you follow there directions you shouldn't have any problems. I dose vodka(.3ml) and biofuel(2.0ml) dail with no problems ever. I have never dealt with the clear slime but I dose a very small amount.

You need to make sure your other parameters are in check like cal/alk/mag and they are consistent.

I would highly recommend using a bacteria like prodibio/zeobak/mb7, this will make a huge differance.

yeah that reefkeeping link is probably the most straight forward source of info. you'll have to let us know how it goes.

Hello, I have a question regarding this method, if I have "under control" the NO3 and the PO4 on my tank, (religious water change every week and with Phosguard) is it possible ti start this method in order to increase coloration in my corals?

Thank you

Archived