Top Shelf Aquatics

Salinity Help

Blueangel44

Blueangel44

Recently in my FOWLR tank I have noticed that my salinity levels have been dropping. It was at 1.025 a few days ago and is now at 1.022. Is this normal in FOWLR tanks?(Usually do reefs) is it possible that maybe some of the salt is getting caught up in the filter media? Thanks!

Edit: I have not seen my salinity drop in my 55 Gallon reef but then again it is a larger tank.

Hmm, that's unusual, usually it's the other way around. What are you using to measure salinity ? Was it calibrated correctly?

Blueangel44

I am using a Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer i saw some nice reviews on it so couldn't pass up on the price. I think I am going to test my water with my Hydrometer and bring it into the LFS to get it tested again with theirs. Also my tank is cycling so it isn't a HUGE deal right now but would still like to know why this is happening. Could the ammonia be playing a toll?

I not too sure if ammonia will cause fluctuations in salinity, but don't quote me on that. As for the testing, it would be a good idea for a second party to test. Do you soak your hydrometer in water before testing? Sometimes dust or debris can give incorrect readings. See if you can find someone with a refractometer too to ensure that it's correct.

Blueangel44

I do not soak in water before I always wash it out with fresh water when I finish testing just a quick rinse is all.

I do not soak in water before I always wash it out with fresh water when I finish testing just a quick rinse is all.

Hmm, trying soaking in fresh water for a couple minutes before testing. Hope that helps.

Blueangel44
Hmm, trying soaking in fresh water for a couple minutes before testing. Hope that helps.

Normal Tap water ok?

lakshwadeep

I suggest getting a different hydrometer. Apparently the deep six has an unreliable record; although it was recently redesigned. Glass hydrometers are a good choice and easier to clean. Refractometers or salinity meters are other options.

+1 to calibration being very important (note that hydrometers measure specific gravity but often also show salinity on their scales).

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

Archived