para:

nitrate-0

nitrite-0

phos-0

cal 480

akh- 9

temp 81.2

I have a bio 29.

I just noticed that theres small area has red slime ? is that red alge ????

If thats red agle..

PLEASE tell me what to do ?? its small..It has small red slime on rocks with zoas i removed it and put it in small box with water inside a biocube 29 tank and tried to pulled some red off the rocks..am i making it worse (bit finger) ??

It look like i m pulling some cotton off from rock

My suspect that i think i over fed my corals and 2 fishes :(

What is your advice suggestion ?/ Turn off light for a day or ??

Thanks

Jake

OH SHAT RED SLIME

Although I find your thread almost impossible to understand due to your unusual usage of grammar (we'll call it your unique dialect) - it sounds to me like you have some red slime (or cyanobacteria) on some rock in your tank.

I have used chemi-clean with GREAT success to get rid of this crap. You've got to manually remove as much as you can by hand or with the brushies, then take your carbon, CP, purigen, whatever out - then add however much of the chemi-clean is required for your tank. Basically follow the chemi-clean instructions.

It worked for me with no ill effects on coral or livestock.

GOOD LUCK

I try not to use the chemical fixes at all. I just don't like putting that stuff in my tank. Many people have reported good luck with it, but if you don't take care of the problem it will just come back at some point.

If it is cyano - the stuff grows in nutrient rich low flow areas of the tank.

Couple of thigs you can do -

Cut back on feeding

Syphon out the cyano - should come up easy

Increase your flow to that area

Check that your tank isn't getting a lot of natural sunlight. My tank would get hit with sunlight in one corner and that's where my cyano started.

Using something like chemi pure elite with phosphate remover could be beneficial as well.

Chemi-Clean should be a last resort and used with caution. Please be sure you follow the directions on the label exactly if you do try it.

CosmicAquatics

I am with Pickle on the whole not adding chemicals to my tank BUT... I do like Chemi-Clean, it does work and it works well. I have used it many times and it get rid of cyano without any problems. The thing to remember though is that chemi-clean gets rid of the cyano but not the circumstances that is making cyano grow. Large frequent water changes are a must in small tanks. Use GFO, carbon, and increase the flow in your tank.

its 2 months old...

its small slime- maybe $ .50 half dollar (silver dollar).

Picture will come up soon.

+1 These guys are both correct and I should have mentioned that eliminating the source of Red Slime is just as important as removing the red slime itself.

Pickle010's suggestions are 100% A+

Call me crazy but that doesn't look like Cyano to me... looks more like purple coraline - is it hard? Or does it come right off?

cotton? pink? red slime should not feel like cotton, but pink algae is a real pest to deal with. It's very hard to erradicate and the slightest bit that will go off the rock in the flow will start fresh somewhere else. Best way to get rid of it is to put phosphate remover like Rowa and have a couple of mexican turbo snail..the only thing I know eat the stuff. I put one turbo snail in my 21 gallon nano infested with that stuff and it cleaned it in one day.

Although your photo really look like coralline algae, something good.

I m newbie.

api test kit:

para:

nitrate-0

nitrite-0

phos-0

cal 480

akh- 9

temp 81.2

I have a bio 29.

I just noticed that theres small area has red slime ? is that red alge ????

If thats red agle..

PLEASE tell me what to do ?? its small..It has small red slime on rocks with zoas i removed it and put it in small box with water inside a biocube 29 tank and tried to pulled some red off the rocks..am i making it worse (bit finger) ??

It look like i m pulling some cotton off from rock

My suspect that i think i over fed my corals and 2 fishes :(

What is your advice suggestion ?/ Turn off light for a day or ??

Thanks

Jake

Yeah that why picture is no good after I removed most of it... When I pulled it out with twezzer 10", it look like some hair...and I used toothbrush to rub it off..

Thanks!

Jake

Chances are that you spread it all over. Each little fragment that you break from it will anker somewhere and grow like weeds.

Yeah that why picture is no good after I removed most of it... When I pulled it out with twezzer 10", it look like some hair...and I used toothbrush to rub it off..

Thanks!

Jake

reef keeper

Do you use RO or tap?

How long is you lights on a day?

How often do you feed your fish?

I had some issues with redslime before and most of my issues came from the water i used and my lighting was on to long and i was majorely over feeding i reduced my lighting to about 8 hours and increased flow and also used RO water instead of tap and as a natural filtration i added a mangrove and some chaeto algae.

Guest milloreeri

An overview of how to destroy the algae. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to get rid of my red slime? all my settings are good check them all. the lighting is correct. I do not understand what gives them the nutrients. and it becomes boring. I'll clean my tank and within 2-4 days.

Nano sapiens

There are many different types of algae and cyanobacter. 'Red Slime' is generally used to describe a cyanobaacter that feels 'greasy' when you touch it and doesn't rub off easily.

All tanks have some types of these 'algae', but in very well maintained/very low nutrient tanks they may not be noticeable. I get a few dime sized patches in low-flow areas where the glass meets the gravel that I remove on a weekly basis. I just consider this organism as a part of my tank's ecology and I control it by removing it once a week. Its when you get larger patches, especially those that threaten to cover your LR and corals, that you need to address nutrient input, removal/dilution of excess nutrients.

I left light off since yesterday about 4pm and will turn light on tonight for 3 hours (5-8pm) then tomorrow i ll turn light on 8am and turn it off at 3pm then turn actinic light on 3pm till 830pm <--- sounds good to you :unsure: ??

i tend to turn light on from 8am (white and actinic blue PC ) till 7pm then actinic only on 7pm to 9pm. so its obviously i left light on TOO LONG.

I m using RO/DI filter stage. meter test TDS in 63 and out 0.0 .

Yeah it feels a little grease.

I believe that i over feed my corals and fish :blush: .

How often do you feed your corals? I fed corals and fish every other day..

is this good plan---> to feed corals twice a week, say monday and friday and for fish every other day ??

I appreciated your time to help me out..

Thanks!

Jake

Chances are that you spread it all over. Each little fragment that you break from it will anker somewhere and grow like weeds.

yeah I figured that :(

I took small rock i said about 4 inches round out of tank and i used toothbrush to rub it off (some stubborn wont get it off easy ) then raise it with saltwater in bucket then i dump saltwater *not in tank* and put rock back in.

so far since yesterday i dont see any growth.

Thanks

reef keeper
I left light off since yesterday about 4pm and will turn light on tonight for 3 hours (5-8pm) then tomorrow i ll turn light on 8am and turn it off at 3pm then turn actinic light on 3pm till 830pm <--- sounds good to you :unsure: ??

i tend to turn light on from 8am (white and actinic blue PC ) till 7pm then actinic only on 7pm to 9pm. so its obviously i left light on TOO LONG.

I m using RO/DI filter stage. meter test TDS in 63 and out 0.0 .

Yeah it feels a little grease.

I believe that i over feed my corals and fish :blush: .

How often do you feed your corals? I fed corals and fish every other day..

is this good plan---> to feed corals twice a week, say monday and friday and for fish every other day ??

I appreciated your time to help me out..

Thanks!

Jake

Do you use a skimmer?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to see what is causing it and i feed my fish every other day and i have my light on longer than yours.

+1 Looks like coralline.

Do you have any of this "red slime" on your sand?

i dont see any of it on sand floor

Do you use a skimmer?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to see what is causing it and i feed my fish every other day and i have my light on longer than yours.

i dont use skimmer.

reef keeper

Skimmer would help because it takes the nutrients out and maybe some nassaurious snails. The nassarious snail will help stur you sand bed up and will also eat any uneaten food or fish that die.

Skimmer- like tunze 9002?

I sold it cuz i just dislike to use too much electrics.

Maybe some day ill buy it.

nassaurious snails- I have 3 in tank but only saw 2 so far so i dont know wheres other one..

Jake

reef keeper

Skimmer- like tunze 9002? Yes i know their are some different ones out their.

I sold it cuz i just dislike to use too much electrics.

Maybe some day ill buy it.

nassaurious snails- I have 3 in tank but only saw 2 so far so i dont know wheres other one..

Jake

Nano sapiens
I left light off since yesterday...

Each tank is different and figuring out what is 'right' for your tank is part of the challenge of reef keeping. However, there are basic guidelines that have been developed based on science, experience and observation.

Lighting: I run a set of normal output T5s for 9 hours/day. I've tried various lenghts up to 12 hrs/day, but my corals didn't seem to like the longer illumination. Bulbs need to be changed out at regular intervals (typically 1 year or less) to avoid a spectrum shift into the red which favors unwanted algae growth. I change my bulbs every 6 months to keep spectrum and intensity at a level that allow my corals to do well.

Feeding: Overfeeding is a very common mistake. Most of the corals that we keep get a good portion of the food they need from the by-products of the algae living in their tissues and they also absorb nutrients/elements directly from the water. I feed my LPS (Acans, Leptastrea) only once a week. Fish in a reef tank can be fed lightly 2-3x/week as they will also feed on the critters naturally found in the tank environment. Their waste is utilized by the corals.

My suggestion to you is to remove any excess detritus from the tank, cut back on feeding, reduce your lighting to around 8-9 hours and keep up with weekly water changes (10-25% depending on your bio-load). With patience and good tank management you should start to see a reduction in the growth of algae.

Archived