Coral Vue Hydros

HAHHAHAHAHA!!! Im so glad I didnt buy that CSL moonlight!!!

wetworx101

So CSL is closing there doors. Too bad, as those moonlights were prolly some of the best nano lights around. I was about to get one...but now... Does anyone know if anyone else makes 40wattPC bulbs? I'd hate to buy one any end up without bulbs in a year.

Im really sad they are closing though still. They brought many great products to the market...the smartlite, the moonlight, the firsts to have 65wattPC lights and 40watters. They were on the top 5 list of quality lighting for aquariums if not the best in certain areas. I wonder what will fill the void. With them gone, and other choices not as good (coralife sometimes built too cheap, JBJ too expensive, Jalli hard to find) I wonder what will happen with nano lighting. I bet we will see more 70watt halides being used, as they seem to have gained huge popularity in just the past year. I bet powercompacts will be more of just actinic add-ons if at all. Mark my words.

I got the idea championlighting would still stand behind the CSL products....I would still buy one on clearence now....I think they are wonderful products!

All thats happening is this. Custom sealife sold the business the new owners will still sell all the lights and stuff. All that will prob happen is that the name may change. I found this out today at my LFS you can still order the light setups and everything else.B)

Originally posted by KrackerG

im planning on putting a 70w DE MH in my 20" CSL....once the warranty expires!!:o  wait!  i think it already has!!!

What 20" CSL do you have?

Originally posted by Mai

What 20" CSL do you have?

PowerCompact w/ Moonlight. 2x40w + 1 moon. I planning on ditching the moonlight ( or moving it to the side) and putting the 70 MH right in its place. I think I may have to scoot the 2x40 tubes out some...adding another fan, and replacing the plexiglass w/ some good UV tempered glass....

Guys, I think I paid the most for this light...more than anyone that has one...paid $165 from my LFS but I used some store credit I had there...but still. Got it less than 2 months ago...already planning to hack it! :P Feels right...feels good...why not!!!? At least I don't have to hear, "Your voiding the warranty...":P

Originally posted by KrackerG

PowerCompact w/ Moonlight.  2x40w + 1 moon.  -I planning on ditching the moonlight ( or moving it to the side) and putting the 70 MH right in its place.  I think I may have to scoot the 2x40 tubes out some...adding another fan, and replacing the plexiglass w/ some good UV tempered glass....

-

WORK IN PROGRESS OF MY "CUSTOM" CustomSeaLife 20" 70w MH/2x40 Actinic/2 LED moon/2 fan Hood...more to come! B)

Sweet KrackerG! Looks like you won't need a heater with that setup! Just because I'm curious, why did you not mount all those ballasts externally?

DAWGS!!! MH IS BAD ASZZZZ!B)

This is my first expirence w/ MH. I'm stilll in the early testing phase, but so far, no temp changes whatsoever. The 2 fans are working better than the single stock noisemaker. I still have to take pics of it on my tank...gottta find my shades first! B) {sigh---thinking about 150's}

JohnnyMTB, the 2 white ballasts are the "stock" CSL 2x40w PC. I had to scoot them over to make room for the daddy ballast. I replaced the glass w/ REAL glass from Lowe's. Moved the 2 PC tubes futher out a tad to make room for the MH socket. And it just fit so well so I went w/ it. I would like to clean up the wiring a bit...do you know if the wires can be soldered or is heat in the wires a factor where it de-solders the connections?? I'd like to get the wiring nice and clean (ol' car audio guy)

Here is another pic of my workings:

KrackerG

I think it's more ballast heat that you need to be worried about. Are you using it as an adjustable pendant, or will it be a fixed height fixture. You may not have anything to worry about either way, it just looks like it would put out a lot of heat. You do have the fan already installed in the stock canopy, so that should help. I think soldering would be fine, it shouldn't generate enough heat to melt the solder.

1 stock fan = 30CFMs (airflow)

I added 2 quieter 29CFM fans. The enclosure is metal...and the way it's designed, the glass and sides... I'm seeing a tunnel vacuum effect. I have one of those wire temperature gauges as well as a reg thermometer...I'll post my results...

There shouldnt be a problem. For those of you that have a 70wattMH, you know it isnt as hot as other halides...for god sakes...it's only 70 watts! On my 400 watt halide I cant even get near the shell, on the 250watt can touch it, but for just a second or two. The 70, I can stick my hand on it and leave it there. It puts off less heat than my cousin's 96watt powerquad fixture. The ballast on my 70 is not hot a all, just warm, not like some other ballasts I know of (coralife PCs!!!). The PC bulbs in that fixture prolly make more heat than the halide...so as long as the fan can keep up with a little bit more, I dont think he will have any problems.

What is the exact length of the 40 watt bulbs? (excluding the pins) I'm just wondering if I can get the 20 model and cut the case down to fit over my Mini-Bow.

Awesome job so far KrackerG!

That's pretty cool KrackerG, I may consider this mod down the road. Have any before and after pics with the halide?

LED fans huh? I considered that, and then didn't because I wasn't sure I wanted the extra light. Those PC fans do a great job though. I forgot to plug in my two fans, and after my hood was on for like 45 minutes, i touched the top, and it was HOT! So I flipped on the fans at 6 volts, and within 5 minutes the hood was cool to the touch, and the air coming out the exhaust end was cool.

:)) funny thing is... those 3 blue leds practically disappear when both blue actinics are on! fans work awesome...still runnin at 12v cause of the MH ballast...the air coming out is ever so slightly cool warm. top of fixture is metal cold..

gonna have pics up tonite hopefoolie :P

Archived