Cultivated Reef

anyone use this ro unit?

pico-reefer

AZDesertRat

The cons on all the small units far outweigh the pros.

First off, its harder to find the non standard replacement filters is the desirable micron ranges, they usually cost more and are smaller so do not last as long. You want at least a 1 micron prefilter and a 1 micron carbon block with 0.5 microns being better in both cases. I doubt you will find them in throwaway replacements.

The 1 micron carbon it comes with lasts 1250 to 1500 total gallons (250 to 300 treated gallons and 1000 to 1200 waste gallons at the normal required 4:1 waste ratiod) epending if its the 10" or 12" size. A standard 10" 1 micron carbon block like fits in a canister lasts 9000 total gallons (1800 treatd gallons and 7200 waste) and the preferred 0.5 micron block lasts 20,000 gallons (4000 treated and 16000 waste).

See the difference? They need replacing much more often and cost more to replace.

The linked unit is an RO only not and RO/DI so is not considered reef quality. To add a DI you are looking at an additional investment.

Plus consider you do not get a TDS meter or pressure gauge so have no idea when the membrane needs replacing or filters are fouling causing a pressure restriction. You will definitely need the TDS meter if you add DI so more money still.

They are not that much smaller in reality. The BRS unit does not come with a bracket but most similar units do and the bracket is the same one used on full sive vertical units so the footprint is the same, they are just 4-5" shorter height.

A very high quality RO/DI with 0.5 micron standard sized filters and canisters, a full size 20 oz vertical refillable DI, a TDS meter, a pressure gauge and much more is only $145 and will outperform any of the mini units hands down and needs no upgrades, additons or modifications out of the box. Plus it is all mounted to a bracket so hoses and fittings won't be leaking all the time.

i have a unit alomost exactly like that and I hate it. it leaks constantly, the carbon filters always clog, andthe unit is only about a month old. i highly recommend not trying to go the cheap route when it comes to the life of your system, which is exactly what I did in this case. now its going to cost me even more cuz im having to buy a second system to correct my mistake. just spend the money and do it right the first time.

TRUST ME

• 2 weeks later...
A very high quality RO/DI with 0.5 micron standard sized filters and canisters, a full size 20 oz vertical refillable DI, a TDS meter, a pressure gauge and much more is only $145 and will outperform any of the mini units hands down and needs no upgrades, additons or modifications out of the box. Plus it is all mounted to a bracket so hoses and fittings won't be leaking all the time.

What unit are you talking about? Im looking for a unit and was curious what everyone reccomends

I have the 5 stage BRS deluxe system, highly recommended. It will make much nicer water for only little more $$. even the 5 stage standard if you want, but the RO/DI is much better than just RO

AZDesertRat

Don't fall for the ebay "stages" trap. More stages is not necessarily better. The BRS unit has 5 stages but is still nowhere close to the CSP-DI. Its the quality of the filters and components contained within the stages that counts. Compare the BRS filters to a 0.5 micron absolute rated prefilter, a 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon Chlorine Guzzler carbon block, a 90 GPD treated and batch tested RO membrane and custom freshly blended SilicaBuster DI resin designed specifically for the reef hobby.

The BRS 5 stage system has a 5 micron nominal rated prefilter, a 5 micron carbon block followed by a 0.6 micron carbon block, an off the shelf dry untested RO membrane and prepackaged non specific DI resin.

Two carbons are a waste of money if you use a good prefilter to protect the single low micron rated carbon from particulates and colloidal materials. The tested membrane is usually good for a 1 to 25 improvement in rejection rate for will make your DI resin last 50 to 1005 longer and the proprietary SilicaBuste DI resin already lasts about 30% longer than comparable resins based on real world testing.

You don't want or need more stages, you want fewer better stages so you end up with lower pressure drop, more water and beter water.

all i know is that my BRS system takes 350tds tap and puts out 3tds RO and zero tds RO/DI all for >$200

about 3 gallons an hour

AZDesertRat

And my MaxCap takes 650 TDS water, gets it to 3-4 with RO only and the DI lasts for over 1000 gallons per cartridge. THats where the difference comes in, long term cost savings due to superior membrane and DI. Add to that the superior prefilter which protects the carbon block so it works better at protecting the membrane and you end up with a membrane thatcan last 10 useful years instead of 18 months to 3 years.

Again its all about what the stages contain not how many there are.

Archived