Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is my tank too young for Vodka dosing?

ToXIc

hey peeps... just as the title states.. i've been reading about the benefits of vodka dosing but haven't found anything related to the time/age when you should start dosing.. please share your input..

hey peeps... just as the title states.. i've been reading about the benefits of vodka dosing but haven't found anything related to the time/age when you should start dosing.. please share your input..

I do not know much about Vodka dosing, but I have never heard that you have to wait until your tank is a certain age. Aj-Tsin (i think spelled that right) has a 47g shallow cube and vodka doses, its been set up since Feb. if I'm not mistaken. Maybe some one with more experience will have a better input.

vodka dosing takes some time to show its benefits due to a slow acclimation process.. just wondering if i should get a jump start...

Im of the thought that earlier is better. that way you set up the bac colonies earlier and your tank doesnt have to adjust when you stock it

Seems like to me it would help cycle the tank, probably would need to run a very short light cycle so algae doesnt grow. You do have a skimmer correct?

Seems like to me it would help cycle the tank, probably would need to run a very short light cycle so algae doesnt grow. You do have a skimmer correct?

yup the stock RSM skimmer.. looking to get the tunze 9002 and media rack when i got some spare cash..

There is also a "new" idea that suggests rice will do the same as vodka, check the thread on RC. I personally use sugar, vodka just seems like alchohol abuse.

sugar will preferentially select a different population of bacteria. The films will be clear vs vodka's black. I actually find sugar to be more forgiving and cleaner to use. You do need more of it though

I add mine to the Pappone(food) that I feed, I usually use about 2X normal dose, but you are correct the skimmate is clearer than normal.

I believe that sugar (fructose) is broken down into 2 molc of glucose, then into pyruvate, which is then either turned into ethanol (which then goes the way normal vodka would) or is completely oxidized into co2

and carbon dosing should speed up your cycle

I believe that sugar (fructose) is broken down into 2 molc of glucose, then into pyruvate, which is then either turned into ethanol (which then goes the way normal vodka would) or is completely oxidized into co2

and carbon dosing should speed up your cycle

table sugar is sucrose. 1 fructose, 1 glucose. fructose is a monosaccharide. Sorry pet peeve.

Archived