SaltCritters.com

Do I really need a skimmer?

Papa Vudu

OK before I get flooded with a bunch of resounding YES responses....here's the scenario.

I have a ten gallon Uniquarium, the back filter area is stocked with live rock and some bio balls, filter pad, heater and a huge nylon sack of GAC (12" long, 2" diameter). In the tank area I have an air stone putting out a moderate amount of bubbles, about 10lbs of live rock, and medium crushed coral & shells for substrate (not a fan of sand in acryllic tank, bad scratch memories still haunt me to date).

So again my question is, if I have GAC removing dissolved organics, and an airstone putting oxygen into the water, do I really need a protein skimmer in a nano reef?

OK, let the flood of YESes! commence, but please explain WHY.

Thanks,

m@

matt the fiddler

IMO

i would not use the airstone, powerhead-hobs are more efficient ways for circulation- and assuming you have surface area.. you should not run into to any O2 transfer issues... especially if you have a way for the surface tension to be broken up... [also helps for keeping the surface clean]

skimming is cool, though i would not jump in to 24-7- start slow and watch your test results.. and see what is happening... it can help, but many beautiful and good reefs don't use it.. also remember the the skimmer will starve the sponge of their food, and remove some trace elements- so you will need ot do more frequent water changes...

though this is defiantly a "Grey area" in reefing..

on these grey areas..

like any area i consider an "art" i would find some one successfully, and imitate them.[ hopefully someone close by, so you can look and talk and get advice... possibly even help them out]. and then fine tune your system once you learn the art of keeping a reef...

do you really need a skimmer ? NO

it has its benifits like just empty it and it keeps working unlike replacing gac

does GAC do something similar yes and more becouse a skimmer will not remove mediactions and chemicals

the main reason why a skimmer would be good for a small tank is helps remove organic wastes limiting possible nitrates as the end result

a skimmer will not remove nitrates but if you have high boiload a skimmer will keep the water clearer and healthier for the inhabitants

if you plan your nano well (low bio load) there is no need for a skimmer just good tank husbandry (water changes)

ps: you should think about ditching the bioballs and adding more LR rubble in its place

OK. Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will skip the skimmer for now, and just do 15% water changes weekly.

About the airstone, I've got a really strong pump inside the tank to increase circulation, and the water surface does get disrupted by it (waves/ripples). Is this sufficient enough?

Also, there is some trickle in the back where the bio balls are, could this also help to introduce oxygen into the water?

About the bio balls...why remove them? Will they make nitrates too high?

Also, I was a little unclear on your response, should I continue using GAC to remove dissolved organics?

yes the trickle filter helps with oxygen but you may want somehting to break-up or remove the slime that will accumulate on the surafce of the water in the main tank

yes keep using GAC it can only help

and bio balls do produce nitrates as they speed up the process of nitrites being transformed into nitrates

where as more lr would help lower nitrates :) which is better in the long run

it is proven that the best filter is as close to nature as you can get and Lr has more bacteria and porous surface area than bio-balls

bio-balls are NOT BAD there is just a better way so leaving them in will not do harm to your Nano

bio balls are really best in a Fish-Only Tank with ornimental rocks

they are not as beneificail in the reef enviroment

the airsotne thing is really a choice that i would go with out but some fish like to play in the bubbles;)

matt the fiddler

"BUBBLES! BUBBLES!!!!!"

but finding nemo was a suprising.. freshwater... looking setup...

i have seen a coupel salt bubbling tanks pulled off well.. a lto that don't look right- so be creative if you want to keep the bubbles...

;-)

Archived