Pod Your Reef

Best way to kickstart my caluerpa

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

I just started up a 20 high for my kids and I want it to be overgrown in caulerpa algea and whatever other macro I can toss in there. I have a handful of cal in the tank as it is but how do I get it to seed everywhere. Will a 24hr lighting cycle help, overfeed the tank to raise nutrients. Advice needed from those who know.

well you can just take the caluerpa and spread frags thru out the tank. keep doing that with the new growth till you have it everywhere.

gulfsurfer101

Thanks but I know this stuff will grow over everything and can take a tank over in a matter of days. That's the look I am going for since I want to keep sea hoarses n pipe fish in the kids room and I think a macro tank will be a good home for them and lots o tasty pods and bbs for them to eat. I've ran the light for 16hrs so far and plan on doing 24 on 12off.

gulfsurfer101

Can't remember how much time it took, I just remember coming home from work everyday and yanking s%&%^t off my rocks daily. The stuff I'm reffering to was the grape looking cal. Seems like the stuff I had removed the day before would come back almost overnight. It seemd like overnight it would take over the rocks n sand bed

Just do a normal light cycle and it will grow. extended light cycle is not going to really show a ton of extra growth in it.. but it will cause an algae explosion perhaps.. don't really think you want that.

Just a pinch of flake a week and regular light cycle .. in a few weeks it will be massvely grown from its original size.

• 4 weeks later...

take some out

leave it in freshwater for some time. a longer time than you are thinking, at least until it begins breaking down and going translucent, (not just pale green it hasn't release the spores yet),

remove the clear/white caulerpa and discard

top off tank with freshwater and spore mix, update us if something happens. :)

go slow and letting it grow is probably a better idea, but no sense not taking a shot for the sake of hobby science. :) (unfortunately though I don't think it has a high chance of working - i like the break it up idea ^^)

BLoCkCliMbeR

what type of caluerpa?

my polifera would go sexual if there was noticable temperture swing (adding cooler water).... something i noticed back in my earlier days, when i wasnt so strict with how i did water changes.....

if that doesnt work, try taking it to dinner and getting it drunk

Archived