Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150

FishyFishy!

FishyFishy!

I have a Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150 on my 50 Gallon reef tank. Right now, i'm using Chemi-pure elite, which I will always use, but I was wondering (just out of curiosity) if you could put several different types of media in the same chamber with/without seperation? Would the different medias work the same as if they were in their own reactors?

I ask mainly because I bought a tank once that had carbon, phosphate and nitrate removal media mixed together in the same reactor. He said that he had used that setup for years and it worked just fine. Thoughts?

I think I read on the label with phosban is that it is best used in a reactor, with no tumbling action as this will pulverize it.

Media expires at different rates, so that could become a problem changing media.

kamikaze_fish

These are my thoughts, right or wrong, I don't know. Phos media usually will last up to 3 months, give or take a little bit. Most Carbon media is 2-4 weeks. I just started a media reactor in my tank last week and am mixing both the phos and carbon in mine with the idea that I will just replace both once a month. Given the smaller size of our tanks (mine being 28g total system) it's not a big loss to replace the media earlier than necessary.

One other thing to add, most phos media needs to lightly tumble to do it's job. If it doesn't tumble then you're not taking full advantage of it so if it pulverizes from tumbling, it might not be the best application, but again that's an opinion.

what if they are seperated by a media bag for the carbon at the bottom then the phosban above it loose? again i have no experience with reactors, would something like that work?

FishyFishy!

Yeah I wouldn't be worried about replacing once a month or so either. I'd like to try something a little different on my 110, maybe i'll try some different combos and see what happens! haha.

Archived