Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting help for 10gal

Mai

First of all I want to do this right the first time.

I want to keep sps and clams. My first thought was a CSL all in one but I heard that it might not be the best for clams. My next option is MH but what size? I want to stay away from pendants if possible and try to keep it on the tank. Is there a retro that will fit my tan which is a standard 10 gal.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

I've read about people keeping 70w MH on 10g. I think you would need some sort of actinic supplement however. As well I'm not too sure how you would get that into a hood. You may have to do a DIY canopy for it.

I am in no way an expert, and I'm talking about *plans* here. I have not yet implemented them.

That being said, I will be building a custom hood for my tank to house a 70w mh and 2x36w actinic PC's. It's going to be a tight fit. My current tank is a 10gal, and I am building out an 18 tall (same footprint as 10 gal, but taller) that it will eventually be put over. I went with the metal halide because they ROCK for growth rate. I bought an ushio 10KK bulb from Abs (check the classifieds) and a ballast off ebay. I ordered the pc bulbs and ballast from hellolighting.com, and it still hasn't come yet. I *CANNOT* recommend them at this time, but that's another story.

Check out the DIY forum for some ideas on hoods, but in my case, I will be putting the mh bulb inside of a regent fixture from home depot, then affixing that (along with the pc bulbs) in a big (tall) hood. I will have about 5" of airspace between the water surface and a sheet of plexiglass, with the bulbs mounted above the plexi. This way, I can keep some of the heat away from the water, and ventilate the surface of the water seperately. I live in texas. It's hot here. I'm too cheap to buy a chiller. Soooo... I am trying to *encourage* evaporation.

Hope this helps some.

-q

That is definately a question that is debatable. I wiould go for montipora. It tends to not need quite as much light. As far as clams you should have enough. Be careful still. You may want to double check.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by qfour20

I am in no way an expert, and I'm talking about *plans* here.  I have not yet implemented them.

That being said, I will be building a custom hood for my tank to house a 70w mh and 2x36w actinic PC's.  It's going to be a tight fit.  My current tank is a 10gal, and I am building out an 18 tall (same footprint as 10 gal, but taller) that it will eventually be put over.  I went with the metal halide because they ROCK for growth rate.  I bought an ushio 10KK bulb from Abs (check the classifieds) and a ballast off ebay.  I ordered the pc bulbs and ballast from hellolighting.com, and it still hasn't come yet.  I *CANNOT* recommend them at this time, but that's another story.

Check out the DIY forum for some ideas on hoods, but in my case, I will be putting the mh bulb inside of a regent fixture from home depot, then affixing that (along with the pc bulbs) in a big (tall) hood.  I will have about 5" of airspace between the water surface and a sheet of plexiglass, with the bulbs mounted above the plexi.  This way, I can keep some of the heat away from the water, and ventilate the surface of the water seperately.  I live in texas.  It's hot here.  I'm too cheap to buy a chiller.  Soooo... I am trying to *encourage* evaporation.  

Hope this helps some.

-q

I am doing KrackerG's mod as we peak.

After reading what he did I think it should be ok for SPS and maybe a clam if I m careful

Just to give you an idea of where I'm going with my hood, here is a pic of it in progress:

5099IMGA0472.JPG

Eventually, I'll have a front and back piece on it, and put the 2x36w actinics in too.

Good Luck!

-q

Originally posted by greenfish

What would the advantage be of a 70W MH when you can have a 96W compact?  Would the MH have an advantage over this.

http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html

Unfortunatly, wetworx101 isn't around to spew hate on the 96w quads. So in the words of Wetworx101, "IMO, 70watts halide is better than 96watt PC, easily. Its just that the quality and intensity that even a small halide can make is very effective."

I don't think you're going to fit 2x36 watters in there unless you can find a really thin reflector. I have a 70w halide and 36w actinic in the hood I just finished building for my new 10g and it just barely fits.

Archived